Throwback Build 2004 Tonepad Tube Screamer

Route14

Back in the early 2000s I was getting into boutique builders like Zvex and Barber. I was also taking an interest in guys like Robert Keeley and Analogman and how they were modding pedals to make them sound better. Researching pedal modding on the internet of the mid aughts led me to a guy named Indy Guitarist (aka Brian Wampler). He had just put out a book with details about popular mods for Boss and Ibanez pedals. It was one of those photocopied books you can get made at Kinkos or Staples. Through that book I started to learn about where to buy parts and how to do some of these mods. I bought a bunch of DS-1 and SD-1 seconds from eBay and started my journey.

Not long after that I found out about Tonepad. They had circuit templates you could download and etch yourself or you could buy boards directly from the site. I bought a couple Tube Screamer and Big Muff boards and took my first stab at making my own clones. Eventually I put the soldering iron away and didn't come back to making pedals until the pandemic started. I was looking for a hobby to keep me busy during lockdown and that's when I found Pedal PCB.

This is the first pedal I ever built. TS808 clone in a 125B box. There were no build templates back then (that I knew of) and 125Bs weren't really the popular enclosure they are today. It sounds great and still works to this day. I took it on 2 tours as my main overdrive. There is nothing special about it but it sounds like a really great tube screamer. Somehow I stumbled through it and came out with a pedal I was super proud of.

IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1478.jpg

That’s awesome. I have some old ones packed away somewhere that I’d love to find again.
Thanks! I still have a bunch laying around that I'll get to at some point. There not as easy to work with as the boards like PPCB makes but they still sound great.

Remarkably clean for a maiden voyage. I'm on a similar timeline only it was a couple mammoths and an ea trem back in the day. Then nothing but light lutherie soldering until covid. It was almost immediate too. First or second week I bought and modded a meatbox and ordered some byoc/fuzzdog kits. I became a dull boy pretty quickly.

Remarkably clean for a maiden voyage. I'm on a similar timeline only it was a couple mammoths and an ea trem back in the day. Then nothing but light lutherie soldering until covid. It was almost immediate too. First or second week I bought and modded a meatbox and ordered some byoc/fuzzdog kits. I became a dull boy pretty quickly.
Thanks! I'm willing to bet a lot of us are here because of the pandemic!

Back