Timmy & Zendrive

eh là bas ma

Just finished a Timmy (earlier version) circuit on perfboard.
Timmy v.1.jpg Timmy v.1 inside.jpg Timmy v.1 box.jpg timmy v.1.png
I did it to practice on perfboard and join the Zendrive i built two or three weeks ago, on veroboard.

I read it's a good combo, I tend to agree, but one of them needs to have the gain control down to be musical. I guess the idea of the combo is to let the first drive shape the sound for the second one.
Zendrive can sound very raw and dirty with a noticeable mids hump, Timmy has a bass control, clipping options, and sound very polished and refined, according to the IC you're using. Mids are also increased but quite less than in the Zendrive. I guess the order is clear : Zendrive first, unless i want something unpolished with mids...

I changed all the pot values on the Timmy, and yet it sounds right, they're effective through the whole rotation :

Treble, Bass = C100k instead of C50K; Drive = A1M instead of A500k; Volume =A50k instead of A25k.

I've been testing RC4558P, TL72IP, MC1458 and NE5532P in Timmy'circuit. The final duo was MC1458 and NE5532, I kept MC1458...

On Zendrive, I am using NE5532.
I also substitute the pot I didn't have for the closest higher value. Everything sounds fine, especially the gain knob wich has much more range than the original unit, I suppose : B1M instead of B500K.
Zendrive1.jpg Zendrive inside.jpg IMG_20220223_015830.jpg
Based on these projects :

Both boxes have acrylic artworks, coated with acrylic varnish.

Quick question : When I double a pot value, am I right to consider the new pot set at half rotation sounds like the standard one set fully CW ? So on a 50k reverse log pot replaced by a 100k (rev log), when the 100k is set at 12', it's like when a 50k pot is set fully CW ?

Last edited:
Back