TS-808 with no buffers and a bass pot

HamishR

Well-known member
This was something I did just as an experiment, but it actually sounds pretty good! I wanted to hear what a TS-808 would be like if I could add or subtract some low end. So I added a bass pot. Then I thought I'd go all "Son-of-Screamer" on it and remove the buffers. Then after that I thought I'd use a couple more clipping diodes so that it wasn't as compressed sounding - it sounds maybe a bit more natural this way? So it's a very simple mod of a TS-808 and I am surprised at how much I like it. It's not a regular on my pedalboard but it's a fun pedal!

TS-808 Bass mod stripped.png
 
Easily done! I tend to shy away from switches because I find the setting I like and stick with it. But adding a switch like that would be easy. You could use a pair of red LEDs (I really don't like that sound but a lot of players do!) or do it like the Timmy. Millions of options!
 
This was something I did just as an experiment, but it actually sounds pretty good! I wanted to hear what a TS-808 would be like if I could add or subtract some low end. So I added a bass pot. Then I thought I'd go all "Son-of-Screamer" on it and remove the buffers. Then after that I thought I'd use a couple more clipping diodes so that it wasn't as compressed sounding - it sounds maybe a bit more natural this way? So it's a very simple mod of a TS-808 and I am surprised at how much I like it. It's not a regular on my pedalboard but it's a fun pedal!

View attachment 125564
Your's a simplified version on one I built over 10 years ago on eyelet Board from this Layout.
I ended up using C50K taper on the Bass pot, it sounds great.
I ended up adding a toggle for LED or 1N4148 clipping at the same time:

 
Last edited:
Back
Top