Tube Amp Power Conditioner?

fig

Village Idiot
Apologies if this has already been beaten to death, but I am current need of such an animal. I don't need or necessarily want to pay for coax or phone line protection, I just want to preserve my tube amps. I'm not using any rack system at the moment but have in the past and may have the space again one day, but I digress.

Given I am only using two amps at this time, would you trust YOUR amps to this? Or recommend something else?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_756AC215A/Furman-AC-215A.html

This is a little bit outside of my wheelhouse...I had to do a little bit of quick research on surge protectors...

One possible alternative: have you considered a UPS? Particularly one of the line-interactive variety. A surge protector will use a variety of overcurrent-and-overvoltage mitigating strategies to protect against extreme spikes but a good UPS will do that PLUS protect against things like brownouts and minor voltage spikes.

That Furman looks to be a fine surge protector, but for that price you could get a UPS and keep rocking for like several minutes into a blackout.

Reactions: fig
Unless your amp has a switchmode power supply, surge protection and all that other fancy stuff is not really needed for tube amps... Tube amps will overcome! Seriously, lightning can strike your house and a tube amp will most likely live through it. There's a reason that the USSR used vacuum tubes in their military equipment until the 80s-90s, they survive nuclear weapon EMPs.
A 10amp variac and ac multimeter can be useful to dial in the correct voltage for your amp.
But if you still insist on power line conditioning, get the best, but you better have lots of money:

I have used a Furman PL-Plus Series II rack mount conditioner with my 400+ ever since I got it. I haven't used it in a few years, but I gigged some pretty questionable bars with it and I never had an issue.

Reactions: fig
Back