DEMO Tube build - BlackVibe!!!

This post contains an audio or video demo
Nice build, I like it.
I've build JCM800 pre in a pedal form, powered by SMPS (555 based. I can dial up to 320-340V).

View attachment 40283
Is it just changing values on the HV board to get higher V out of it? Did you use Kingsley for reference on this build? It looks awesome. Nice touch on the gold sockets too!

Edit* I think I found the answer. If you feed higher dc in higher comes out. I use 9v and get up to 250v so 12-18v should bump that up I’ll try it out. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Edit* I think I found the answer. If you feed higher dc in higher comes out. I use 9v and get up to 250v so 12-18v should bump that up I’ll try it out. 👍🏼
Yeah, it's Kingsley inspired. But 1:1 JCM800 pre copy. I power it with 12V. Check voltage ratings of the capacitors first :). The voltage may increase by 10 % at startup.

@Snicksound & @coltonius if you dig through old posts you will find that the HV board idea sprouted a few years ago. I’m not sure why it never took off, might be too niche and you have to consider the safety issues around it. I for one am a huge fan of being able to power tubes in a pedal.

Should have this second build wrapped up soon. Just a dry fit in the photo.
362B6C78-AEDA-4465-92B0-6B60D758E790.jpeg

@Snicksound & @coltonius if you dig through old posts you will find that the HV board idea sprouted a few years ago. I’m not sure why it never took off, might be too niche and you have to consider the safety issues around it. I for one am a huge fan of being able to power tubes in a pedal.

Should have this second build wrapped up soon. Just a dry fit in the photo.
View attachment 40414
Yes, I can see how that could be a liability if someone used to working with 9-18v got zapped while using one! I know Frog Pedals sells some boards.. I saw that Sushi does too.

I built a 5C3 Deluxe for a friend, and he was asking me the other day whether it's possible to recreate the preamp in a pedal format. Octals would be a tight/impossible squeeze (at least on the inside of an enclosure), but tube preamps in general seem like a fun idea to pursue!

ps. Love your builds! A JCM800 in a pedal would be awesome!

@Dan0h so how does your blackvibe take pedals in front of it? Any peculiarities that you may have noticed?
It reacts the same way my old amp does. The high input sounds like garbage when other pedals are in front of it but the low input sounds perfectly fine. The low has an extra 1Meg dropping resistor on it. The high is straight into the 68k grid resistor.
I like using the high input so I have it as the first pedal on my board and couldn’t be happier with it.
image.jpg

Back