Turducket? No!! Horse!

HamishR

Built my own Mystery Meat today, and I am surprised at how much I like it! It sounds to me as if PRS analysed what the key frequencies were in a Klon, then cleverly worked out how to add some low-end without flogging it. But I'm not sure if I saddled it with the right diodes - I fed it the one 1N4148 and three 1N60Ps, the only Ge I had handy. The pedal sounds amazing - easily the best I have heard my thinline Tele sound. It sounds muscular and manly through this pedal, not like a jockey as it did before.

My only issue is the noise - while it's not unbearably noisy it has more white noise hiss than I'm used to. Could it be the choice of diodes? Or could it be that four ICs are going to make some noise?? I'm playing it with gain anywhere between 8.00 and 10.00, so it's not in high gain territory. If the gain goes past noon it gets quite noisy. It's not enough to make me stop using it, but it's the noisiest of all my low-gain ODs. Is it just me?

Could it be the tant 4u7? Could it be my horse has liver fluke?

And I must remember to clean my pedals before photographing them. You will see why I rarely post pics of PCB builds - nothing much to see here you haven't seen before.

Horsemeat ext.JPG

Horsemeat int.JPG

I'm really loving this pedal, even though I initially built it for the "novelty factor". I rarely get the gain knob above 11 o'clock as it has a lot of gain.
Could be that I used lower Vf Ge diodes it saturates a bit more. Stacks really well with other pedals too. I haven't noticed any more noise than any other high-ish gain pedal but then I'm not running it full out. The "Voice" knob is really useful in setting it up for different guitar/pickup combos. It can really fatten up the sound if that's what your after or make it more (dare I say) "transparent" at about 3 o'clock at lower gain settings.

With my 225 I'm running the gain almost at zero. But with the Tele I have gain at maybe 10.00, and voice around 1.00-2.00. It really does fatten up a Tele in a wonderful way! It's quite amazing.

I wonder what's causing the noise?

Back