Tweed man build. More fun with Jfets

The Gator

Looking at the Tweedman circuit, it uses 5 MPF4393 Jfets in it. Which is an obsolete part. I assume this another one of those applications where the specs of the particular jfets should be similar to that of the rrecommendationsmade for the J201s in the chop shop.
I have some MPF4393 jfets, but the Idss of all of them is fairly high ( 1.8 to 2.0 mA)
And the vgs is 1.3 to 1.4 vdc.

Recommendations? Perhaps not even bother with them and just use some smd j201 jfets?

Opinions are appreciated.
Thank you
Gator

You probably already have searched the forum and found this answer ?
Changing the type of JFET or trying JFETs with different Vp & Idss values will alter the clipping tone & amount. You can try 2N5457, 2N5458, J201, or really any other N-channel JFET. You can even use multiple types of JFETs in this build (i.e. 2N5458 in Q1/Q2, 2N5457 in Q3/Q4, and J201 in Q5) . Just make sure the 2 vertically stacked JFETs in each muamp are the same type.

I did a lot of tests, spent a lot of time on this because I really like this circuit and wanted to get the best of it. Finally I used some SK117GR for a almost a year, and recently went back to 4393 because they sound a bit different and also really effective on my build. I think it is a good idea to find some good matched transistors on this circuit. I tried smd J201 with adaptors, but didn't like them. Maybe if you select them carefully you'll find a good match.

Are you sure 4393 are obsolete ? Looks like they're still in production and easy to find. Musikding currently have them available in through-hole version :

Edit : ...oh, and turning the trimmer into a Presence control on this build, is a good idea in my experience. You have some room under the toggleswitch for an other pot.

Last edited:
Yeah I have some TO92 package MPF4393s, They just don't seem to have good specs for this. MichaelW is probably right, the smd version is probably the way to go.
Really. I just need to socket all five jfet positions and go from there.try what i got, then if I don't like it, get the smd versions.

Eh la bas ma you are definitely right about the presence control. Thought about using a bigger enclosure and a different layout.

Last edited:
Back