Ungula: As luck would have it...

jeffwhitfield

So, I actually bought and tried out an EQD Hoof some time ago. I liked it...but not enough to keep it. I dunno what it was about it. I think I was going for a more vintage style fuzz at the time and was seeking out something that had a bit of hair to it...which definitely didn't fit the Hoof. Little did I know that the Hoof was actually a Big Muff in disguise. Between this and the Hizumitas, I'm beginning to think that EQD really likes messing with Big Muff circuits. :p

This build came together quick easily. Virtually everything is to spec. Only few changes was the use of a tantalum cap and slightly different Germanium transistors. I used 2N1306 trannies instead of the 2N1308 ones the specs called for. Very slight difference that I don't think made much of a change in the sound. Don't think the choice of transistor makes too much difference so long as the hFE falls within a certain range. Newer Hoofs use MP37A trannies so, yeah, they kind of use whatever is available. My guess is that whenever they update the Hoof they change the config a bit to accommodate whatever trannies they're using. Pretty easy faire with a Muff circuit.

Soundwise, it definitely sounds like a Hoof. Definitely has that Muff sound to it...but with a rather dirty quality due to the Germanium trannies. Nice one to add to the Muff collection for sure.

In terms of design, when I saw the name Ungula (which is another name for "hoof"), I thought of horse hoofs. After reviewing a bunch of graphics, I found a set of different horseshoe graphics. Mixed them up and gave it an Old West sort of motif. Simple design but it works. :)

IMG_0152.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg

So, I actually bought and tried out an EQD Hoof some time ago. I liked it...but not enough to keep it. I dunno what it was about it. I think I was going for a more vintage style fuzz at the time and was seeking out something that had a bit of hair to it...which definitely didn't fit the Hoof. Little did I know that the Hoof was actually a Big Muff in disguise. Between this and the Hizumitas, I'm beginning to think that EQD really likes messing with Big Muff circuits. :p

This build came together quick easily. Virtually everything is to spec. Only few changes was the use of a tantalum cap and slightly different Germanium transistors. I used 2N1306 trannies instead of the 2N1308 ones the specs called for. Very slight difference that I don't think made much of a change in the sound. Don't think the choice of transistor makes too much difference so long as the hFE falls within a certain range. Newer Hoofs use MP37A trannies so, yeah, they kind of use whatever is available. My guess is that whenever they update the Hoof they change the config a bit to accommodate whatever trannies they're using. Pretty easy faire with a Muff circuit.

Soundwise, it definitely sounds like a Hoof. Definitely has that Muff sound to it...but with a rather dirty quality due to the Germanium trannies. Nice one to add to the Muff collection for sure.

In terms of design, when I saw the name Ungula (which is another name for "hoof"), I thought of horse hoofs. After reviewing a bunch of graphics, I found a set of different horseshoe graphics. Mixed them up and gave it an Old West sort of motif. Simple design but it works. :)

View attachment 23023
View attachment 23024
Our of curiosity, do you know the Hfe range that works for this? I see the 2N1308 datasheet lists the minimum at 80, but wonder how much difference it would make depending on how much higher gain transistors go in.

What did your transistors test at?

With the batch of 2N1306's I got, the lowest was 166 and highest at 211. Figure the range would be very similar to the 2N1308 so I went with those since they were relatively easy to get. I think if you stay within that range it's fine. Could go a little higher but I probably wouldn't go much higher than 250-260. Any higher and, yeah, you'll start to notice a difference.

With the batch of 2N1306's I got, the lowest was 166 and highest at 211. Figure the range would be very similar to the 2N1308 so I went with those since they were relatively easy to get. I think if you stay within that range it's fine. Could go a little higher but I probably wouldn't go much higher than 250-260. Any higher and, yeah, you'll start to notice a difference.
Low leakage I'm assuming?

Just got a batch of 70 Soviet trannys I'm making my way through testing (mp38a, gt404b, and gt404d).

Back