Vacuum Tubes

I imagine when Cooder wakes up every morning, even before getting his breakfast:
"Hmm what tasty tone shall I feed my ears with from the Tube Pantry today..."

@danfrank Just curious, re the 6DZ7, you just slot those in place of the EL84? Any peculiar biasing/constraints/tonalities? Price nowadays?

My experience with the heavy duty Russian 6P14P-EV (EL84 alike) is so far pretty good, didn't have one dying.
And apart from that I like to drool over my vintage stash and hope that I won't need to put them in too early...

ualTW7B.jpg

p9wekME.jpg

Dude !

So awesome .....

Mike

@danfrank Just curious, re the 6DZ7, you just slot those in place of the EL84? Any peculiar biasing/constraints/tonalities? Price nowadays?
the 6DZ7 is not a plug-in replacement for the EL84. There are similarities, but they are not identical. The 6DZ7 is a twin pentode with an octal base. The cathodes share one pin. The screen grids share one pin. The suppressor grids share one pin. It can be made to work as a replacement for a pair of EL84s, but you'll need to punch a bigger hole in the chassis, install a new socket, wire it up and adjust the bias. The ones I saw on eBay were pricy.

Totally tubular dude!
Very nice sir. Did you make the case?
Thanks guys glad you enjoy the drool cabinet. I should put a container on the floor to catch the liquids... ;)
Yes I made the case, pretty simple just put together out of recycled Rimu (NZ native timber). The holes that the tubes sit in hold them reasonably well without squeezing the pins.
So as @Chuck D. Bones mentioned, we do have about 250 or so earthquakes a year here on these shaky Isles but I have only felt a very few since I live here for 25 years and I managed to stay out of the firing line of the serious ones.
https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake

Back