Wanting to experiment with different caps on the PCB. What's a best practice?

tegendemuur

Just starting out, and seen a bass mod for a circuit (using synths, a must have)... Wanting to try both ways, I assume soldering and removing from the board isn't the way to go? You connect easy-to-remove wires to a breadboard, or?

Your member name sounds dutch so probably these links probably work better:

Thanks! It's a bit of a pain to find these things in shop catalogues, isn't it? Found them in Banzai Music's shop as well, since I already have a few things on my wishlist from them. Thanks for the help! Musikding will be ordered a batch from when I've decided on my second build. :)

Just starting out, and seen a bass mod for a circuit (using synths, a must have)... Wanting to try both ways, I assume soldering and removing from the board isn't the way to go? You connect easy-to-remove wires to a breadboard, or?
Desoldering parts from a board is the last thing you want to do…..

Desoldering parts from a board is the last thing you want to do…..
Not as a newbie in any case. It's definitely a valid way if you're able to.

I stopped using sockets when building/tweaking. I just jam the legs in at an angle and let them hold themselves. It ain't pretty and it ain't solid, but it works. I stopped soldering bias resistors and diodes (and some transistors) until I have the tone down. Sockets just add an unneeded layer.

With single sockets, I find it’s useful to clip the black surroundings so you end up with just the metal. It should sit more stable and contact more of the trace.

One thing worse then desoldering components is desoldering that sliver of a pole on them sockets when they break.

With single sockets, I find it’s useful to clip the black surroundings so you end up with just the metal. It should sit more stable and contact more of the trace.
I did this for a while not out of logical reasoning but because of OCD when the plastic broke weird when snapping them off and it looked bad.

Then I discovered tayda just sells them loose which is way easier and faster:

I did this for a while not out of logical reasoning but because of OCD when the plastic broke weird when snapping them off and it looked bad.

well naturally, I too suffer from nobody can see it but it bothers me syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom