War Scythe Cleft Mod - Handful of questions

airbud

I have a few questions before I keep going with this one, they're all relatively simple.

1. Looking at the build docs, it's D2 and D5 that are swapped out but then C16 is left blank (I assume unpopulated means no jumper either).

C16 is in the first feedback loop; should C19 be left blank instead of C16? If I recall it filters some high end out, so I'm curious what the reason what be to remove it in one loop but replace the diodes in the other. I didn't see any mentions of the capacitor in other posts on the build, so thought I'd ask before just doing it.

1714506807691.png

2. Just to confirm, D2 and D5 are to the left of Q5? This was mentioned in a thread, just confirming while I'm here :)

3. I'm about to solder a few franken-resistors; is this a fool's folly? I have them ordered, but I'm out of 125B's and need something else to make.

1000010097.jpg

1000010098.jpg

Thanks friends!

1. Yup, leave out c16. Jamie Stillman is the only one that can answer why he chose that. There is no tech reason, other than It does change the sound slightly.

2. Yes, on the schematic. Electrically, there is no "left" or "right".

3. Everybody else does it! Go for it!

1. Yup, leave out c16. Jamie Stillman is the only one that can answer why he chose that. There is no tech reason, other than It does change the sound slightly.

2. Yes, on the schematic. Electrically, there is no "left" or "right".

3. Everybody else does it! Go for it!

awesome! i meant to the left of Q5 on the board, but looking at the board and schematic again, i think it would've been a reasonable assumption that those were the correct two diodes to swap. socketing them anyway!

thanks!

@airbud
If you(or anyone else) haven't built up a resistor stash yet, I highly recommend picking up some resistors on AliExpress. I've used them for years without issue. The leads are a little thinner than nicer brand but work fine.(Suck for breadboarding though)
If you get two sets,
1x 100 value, .25w x 2000pcs
And
1x 50 value, .25w x 2500pcs
That will get you 70x of the most common values and 20x of most of the odball values for about $29 shipped.
It's a little bit of dough to drop on resistors but at about 0.64 cents per resistor, it's not bad, less than half of Tayda's price.
It's a good way to build initial stock. What I do is keep the set of 20 in a bag with the values written on card stock in the bag. Keep the common values in a more accessible method(currently recipe card boxes, using the dividers at 1k, 10k, 100k, 500k, etc but working on a more elegant solution. I don't like parts organizers for resistors. Can't justify spending $90 to hold $9 in parts plus loosing the real estate. The card boxes are quick and condensed.)
When I pull a value from the bag after depleting it's stock from the box, I'll cross it off the list and note that more need to be ordered.
For another ~$8 you can get one of the 1/8 resistor packs to go with.
Is it all a little much/overkill? Yeah. But for $30 and only a couple of minutes, I know I'm set on that component for a while and won't incur extra shipping because I'm missing 3 cents of resistors.

@airbud
If you(or anyone else) haven't built up a resistor stash yet, I highly recommend picking up some resistors on AliExpress. I've used them for years without issue. The leads are a little thinner than nicer brand but work fine.(Suck for breadboarding though)
If you get two sets,
1x 100 value, .25w x 2000pcs
And
1x 50 value, .25w x 2500pcs
That will get you 70x of the most common values and 20x of most of the odball values for about $29 shipped.
It's a little bit of dough to drop on resistors but at about 0.64 cents per resistor, it's not bad, less than half of Tayda's price.
It's a good way to build initial stock. What I do is keep the set of 20 in a bag with the values written on card stock in the bag. Keep the common values in a more accessible method(currently recipe card boxes, using the dividers at 1k, 10k, 100k, 500k, etc but working on a more elegant solution. I don't like parts organizers for resistors. Can't justify spending $90 to hold $9 in parts plus loosing the real estate. The card boxes are quick and condensed.)
When I pull a value from the bag after depleting it's stock from the box, I'll cross it off the list and note that more need to be ordered.
For another ~$8 you can get one of the 1/8 resistor packs to go with.
Is it all a little much/overkill? Yeah. But for $30 and only a couple of minutes, I know I'm set on that component for a while and won't incur extra shipping because I'm missing 3 cents of resistors.

yeah at this point i have 422k, 392k (thanks Kliche) and a bunch of other rare ones, these just happened to be 3 values I hadn't encountered yet. i get bags of 200 from stompboxparts.com for $6 and a bag of 10 for $1. That's been relatively affordable, but I've never checked out Ali for any components so thank you for surfacing that option.

As for organization, i have a box of little bags and then the assortment pack I got off Amazon when I started; it takes a minute so usually I populate a handful of boards at once per resistor value (ie all 10k at once, all 100k, etc). It is suboptimal, but when I move into my new house from an apartment (soon enough!) I'll have room for a proper situation. I hadn't thought to separate the common ones from the rarer ones; I was essentially using the little and big bags to do that for me but I still have to look through a bunch, and it's definitely an inefficiency in my workflow. And I love improving workflows!!!

Back