Waterslide Decal

mhsiii

Hi All,
This is my first attempt at doing a waterslide decal. You'll see in the picture that there is something weird
going on in the upper right and bottom middle. Any idea what I did wrong?
Thanks!

Buffer.jpg

What is your base coat? Is it spray paint? If so, what kind? I don't really see what you're talking about in the upper right hand corner (I see the fading in the upper left hand corner around the control knobs), but otherwise it seems like an issue with your paint job and not your waterslide. If you're talking about the lightening around the control knobs, it looks like you may have had some oil or residue that kept the waterslide from adhering properly.

With waterslides I always wipe the enclosure down with IPA, put the slide on work the air bubbles out and let it dry. I had an issue similar this on a Ball Silver enclosure where it looked like the adhesive swirled around under the waterslide, but it was consistent over the surface and actually looked pretty cool. If you over work them, you can push out some of the glue.

Looks to me like air has gotten in under the decal via the holes. Recommend using a rubber squeegee to squeeze the air/water out the best you can (short strokes toward the hole, aiming to push the air/water out the hole), then apply a decal solvent such as MicroSol or MicroSet to cause the decal to improve adhesion and conform to the surface better (which will also have the effect of pushing air out).

I don't work with waterslide decals much anymore but, when I did, I used both MicroSet and MicroSol. Both slightly soften the decal- MicroSet improves adhesion while MicroSol makes the decal conform better to irregular surfaces (which is often the case with a pedal enclosure, even if the surface irregularities aren't noticeable to the naked eye). I would apply both solutions, just to be safe.

Mike
IMG_1134.jpg

Last edited:
What is your base coat? Is it spray paint? If so, what kind? I don't really see what you're talking about in the upper right hand corner (I see the fading in the upper left hand corner around the control knobs), but otherwise it seems like an issue with your paint job and not your waterslide. If you're talking about the lightening around the control knobs, it looks like you may have had some oil or residue that kept the waterslide from adhering properly.
I have no idea what paint was used. I bought the enclosure pre-painted. Obviously I don't know my right from my left, I meant that faded bit in the upper left and at the bottom.

With waterslides I always wipe the enclosure down with IPA, put the slide on work the air bubbles out and let it dry. I had an issue similar this on a Ball Silver enclosure where it looked like the adhesive swirled around under the waterslide, but it was consistent over the surface and actually looked pretty cool. If you over work them, you can push out some of the glue.
IPA? Is that rubbing alcohol? Or are you talking about my favorite beer? :ROFLMAO:

Looks to me like air has gotten in under the decal via the holes. Recommend using a rubber squeegee to squeeze the air/water out the best you can (short strokes toward the hole, aiming to push the air/water out the hole), then apply a decal solvent such as MicroSol or MicroSet to cause the decal to improve adhesion and conform to the surface better (which will also have the effect of pushing air out).

I don't work with waterslide decals much anymore but, when I did, I used both MicroSet and MicroSol. Both slightly soften the decal- MicroSet improves adhesion while MicroSol makes the decal conform better to irregular surfaces (which is often the case with a pedal enclosure, even if the surface irregularities aren't noticeable to the naked eye). I would apply both solutions, just to be safe.

Mike
View attachment 74114
Thanks! Just ordered some from amazon!

Thanks! Just ordered some from amazon!
There are some good tutorials on YouTube on how to use these products (mostly in the context of scale modeling but the actual methodology of use is the same). I suggest you watch them - while they are not hard to use, there are times when using a little too much can be problematic. It's also good to see how the products differ, which to apply first, etc. Good luck!

Mike

Back