What is the grimiest grossest most over the top fuzz/distortion

Danbieranowski

Hey all,
Working on something for a friend and they basically want the most gnarly over the top grimy distortion so I’m trying to figure out what that might be. I know the Arkaim is prettttty thick and intense. Anything else that anyone can think of? Basically I want it to sound broken and ridiculous.

Christine, by TTG.
It is more outrageous than Dwarfcraft's The Great Destroyer, IMO, but then again, there's a vero for a ...

...Double Great Destroyer on the loose.

Ugly Face, by Tim Escobedo — Vero & Perf layouts online, PCBs too, I believe. With or without LFO. ("With" is even crazier)

Not DIY, but anything by Metasonix — the Agonizer is my favourite out of this bunch.

[EDIT: I've been duped! See post #37 Thar be none such thang as BUFFERED 4049 All the crap I read about buffered... *shakes head*]
You've gotta get the right chip for Christine and The Great Destroyer, ie the CD4049 BUFFERED. NOT the 4049UBE (unbuffered). Either circuit will still work with the UBE, but neither get freq'n'crazy with UBE.

A lot of places claim to have the CD4049, but then ship you a CD4049UBE. How do I know? Let's just say I've got enough CD4049UBE chips to build all the 4049UBE circuits I've ever come across (I started a separate build doc for the list), and I still don't have a CD4049 BUFFERED.

If you can find this chip for TGD or Christine, MC14049BCPG, GET SOME! They're purportedly even harder to find than the CD4049 buffered.

Of course, you can get pretty broken sounding with the good ol' Usine/Manufacturing Complex/Industrial Facility/Assembly Plant/Workshop/Atelier ... whatchamacallit, the one we're not allowed to say, the manufactory of hissing buzzing fizzing fluffy belly lint... comes with 5 knobs, sometimes 7...

I look forward to what other suggestions will be made, and to what you find most suitable!

Last edited:
Excellent! Completely forgot about the DBA stuff and Buzz Box!

There's a clone PCB for the Buzz Box on another site, but I'm waiting, hoping & holding out for PPCB's version.

MOAR puhleaze...

Christine, by TTG.
It is more outrageous than Dwarfcraft's The Great Destroyer, IMO, but then again, there's a vero for a ...

...Double Great Destroyer on the loose.

Ugly Face, by Tim Escobedo — Vero & Perf layouts online, PCBs too, I believe. With or without LFO. ("With" is even crazier)

Not DIY, but anything by Metasonix — the Agonizer is my favourite out of this bunch.

You've gotta get the right chip for Christine and The Great Destroyer, ie the CD4049 BUFFERED. NOT the 4049UBE (unbuffered). Either circuit will still work with the UBE, but neither get freq'n'crazy with UBE.

A lot of places claim to have the CD4049, but then ship you a CD4049UBE. How do I know? Let's just say I've got enough CD4049UBE chips to build all the 4049UBE circuits I've ever come across (I started a separate build doc for the list), and I still don't have a CD4049 BUFFERED.

If you can find this chip for TGD or Christine, MC14049BCPG, GET SOME! They're purportedly even harder to find than the CD4049 buffered.

Of course, you can get pretty broken sounding with the good ol' Usine/Manufacturing Complex/Industrial Facility/Assembly Plant/Workshop/Atelier ... whatchamacallit, the one we're not allowed to say, the manufactory of hissing buzzing fizzing fluffy belly lint... comes with 5 knobs, sometimes 7...

I look forward to what other suggestions will be made, and to what you find most suitable!
Metasonix is how this all came about. He wants something like the “Ass-Fister” (so dumb) which sounds insane and great. Too bad it has such dumb branding across the line. He gave me the schematic for the TM-7 (posted here) which I’m in the process of having someone turn into a PCB for me, but he also wants something not tube but similar in sound. Just trying to dig up what that might be.

The Dizzy Tone mod on the Gnat PCB that Music6000 came up with it pretty gnarly sounding. Depending on the diode I used it went from super gated and spitty to insane, nasty fuzz and sustain for days. Search "dizzy elk" in the mod thread of you haven't seen it yet.
That does sound awesome!

Metasonix is how this all came about. He wants something like the “Ass-Fister” (so dumb) which sounds insane and great. Too bad it has such dumb branding across the line. He gave me the schematic for the TM-7 (posted here) which I’m in the process of having someone turn into a PCB for me, but he also wants something not tube but similar in sound. Just trying to dig up what that might be.
Euphemisms can be fun, even clever, but puerile vulgarity for shock value isn't my thing, generally. Hence why the Agonizer is my Metasonix of choice, it's the least crass in marketing terms but still sounds good, ehr ... sounds horrible.

I saw the TM-7 schematic you posted and DL'd it straight away. Maybe someday I'll get to it, perhaps even in this lifetime — doable especially if there were a few extra PCBs made, made available for purchase... ;)

So... if you've got PCB(s) coming for the TM-7, you're set, probably don't even need the other suggestions. Though 15 HM2s is mighty tempting. You could shrink the footprint down to 1590XX if all 15 were SMD...

Euphemisms can be fun, even clever, but puerile vulgarity for shock value isn't my thing, generally. Hence why the Agonizer is my Metasonix of choice, it's the least crass in marketing terms but still sounds good, ehr ... sounds horrible.

I saw the TM-7 schematic you posted and DL'd it straight away. Maybe someday I'll get to it, perhaps even in this lifetime — doable especially if there were a few extra PCBs made, made available for purchase... ;)

So... if you've got PCB(s) coming for the TM-7, you're set, probably don't even need the other suggestions. Though 15 HM2s is mighty tempting. You could shrink the footprint down to 1590XX if all 15 were SMD...
I plan to get a small order of the PCBs made so I’m happy to send you one. Jesse from Noise Therapy FX was going to convert it from schematic to PCB. The schematic is missing the CV control, so Jesse was going to add that in, and I asked him to include a built in blend as well.

He was pretty busy so I’m not sure how long it’ll be til he knocks it out, but once the PCBs are made I’ll let you know.

I only skim read the replies so apologies if someone already recommended ye good olde Swedish chainsaw.

The Friendly Fire on here is a pretty gnarly old skool fuzz if that's more the vibe.

Back