What watt resistors should I use

lweissel

Hi, I am new to pedal building and have a few quick questions. I purchased the EQD Westwood PCB (Sherwood Drive), and the Blues Driver PCB (cobalt drive). I bought all my components mostly from tayda. The cobalt specifies 1/4 resistors, but the sherwood does not say what wattage resistors to use. I bought both 1/8w and 1/4 watt (both 1%). I am wondering what wattage I should use for the Sherwood, and would also like to understand the reasoning behind using said value. I understand that I want my tolerance to be as low (as high?) as possible, and am doing so by using components rated at 1% wherever possible. Thanks!

For guitar circuits, wattage really doesn't matter 99% of the time. 1/4 watt is more or less the standard size. 1/8 watt is used in a few PCB here just so they can fit in a 125b enclosure. You'll be ok with either but check the build doc first.

The Sherwood PCB is sized for 1/4W resistors but you could use 1/8W without any issues.

I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about tolerance with most modern components... although it's never a bad idea to measure them regardless of how they're marked.

Back