XC Phase - Phase Shifter

chris.knudson

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
When I started building pedals, I knew this one was going to be on my build list. I've been wanting a phase shifter for a few years now. It's been on my wish list, but I just never pulled the trigger on buying one because I have been able to get a modest reproduction from my HX Stomp.

I've had this pedal on my bench for a while. I originally built it back in January, and then I had some issues with the film-free waterslides from my first batch. I patiently waited until the weather cooperated long enough for me to sand and re-spray the enclosure. This time, I was much more successful, but I did make one mistake. I tried to peel the film off when the pedal was right out of the oven and still hot. I either didn't let the paint cure long enough or the heat from the oven softened it, so that when I started to peel off the film, I ended up scratching the paint off in the corner. I plan to touch this up once the weather gets warmer.

I finally got this thing all boxed up last week. Although, I didn't get around to testing it until yesterday. I still have a really loud pop when I switch between 2 stages and 4 stages, but other than that, this thing works perfectly. I could probably try swapping out the switch, but honestly, I'm never going to be switching between 2 & 4 stages mid song, so I just decided to live with it. It doesn't make any noise switching between block and script -- only between 2 & 4 stages.

At first, I thought it wasn't going to work. Biasing it was a little tricky. There is a very small sweet spot where it actually phases, but once I found the sweet spot, I was in heaven.

This thing sounds even better than I had expected. Both the Block and Script settings sound great. The 2 Stages setting is okay, but the 4 stages setting sounds so much fuller and richer that I probably will only use the 4 stages setting.

Attachments

• 1711326685261.png
    1711326685261.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 1711326765395.png
    1711326765395.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Back