PedalPCB Unicab

NickC

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-07 at 15.47.56.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-09-07 at 15.47.52.jpeg
super nice pedal, very usefull. I will use it for recording dist/clean guitars for pre production demos. So i can avoid turning on all the equipment or using plugins, but only a distortion pedal and this unicab. And definitely record the D.I. bass tracks with this nice little gem.

I think it can be useful during rehearsals, when using another amp different from ours, or during some live performance, when the service provides some strange amps in order to make our pedalboard sound decently without setting on every single pedal.

i just match the plaid preamp with this cabsim directly in the audio interface (rme fireface400) and it sounds amazing!

Last edited:
My most used pedal!! Looks great and nice write up. I love pairing it with different amp in a box pedals (like you mentioned with the plaid) using the mammal is a tried and true combo for me.

I'm going to have to rethink this. I've been teetering on the darkside with Amplitube but this would be slick with my board and say...Aion's L5 pre.
Dont do it!!!

Honestly, I think any method that gets you playing more is a good thing but….

In my experience I spent more time tooling around then actually playing when i used digital units. I much prefer the analog feel of a preamp into the unicab.

Video upcoming about just this

and if I wanted to turn it into stereo? It would be convenient for me to experiment with wet/dry things

Ahhh ... how would you go about it?

Carefully matched component-values between the two builds and then offboard wire dual-gang pots so each channel reacts the same...

or go mad scientist with two completely independent cab-sims to have fully independent left and right channels to set up some crazy ear-tickling tones?

"It's STEREOPHONIC!"

giphy.gif

For true stereo you need stereo input, two separate channels, stereo output. And two microphones that record simultaneously. Stereo requires signals that are not identical. Having two identical signals is the same as mono split L/R.
You can make "fake" stereo by splitting mono signal, phase shifting one channel (slight delay, 10-15ms for example). Still not stereo but sounds good enough.
Here's short comparison. The same track for L and R channel. First 11 seconds - L/R panned center. 11s-22s - hard panned L and R. 22s-34s - hard panned L and R plus 15ms shift for the R channel.

it's not for recording.

To understand, after the preamp, amp, distortion, etc., I go to the OX BOX and then enter the audio interface, then a dry send comes out(I turn the signal line into instrument with palmer daccapo) and goes to the tempo and modulation effects, which return again to the daw in stereo L R 100% wet. So I have 3 channels, 1 dry100% 2 wet 100% L R. and so far so good.

To avoid all this mess (even if it sounds good) I would simply like to enter the pedalboard with the guitar and exit with the L R signals both wet/dry (and enter the audio int.) and to simulate the cabinet I would like to use the unicab, but maybe for testing I should put the unicab just before stereo effects, when the signal is still mono :unsure: uhmmm.

I know i could use some IR cab plugin but i don't want to open softwares etc.

over time I realized that simplifying the creation/experimentation of music helps creativity and quality.

Cool, my idea still works with true stereo in, whether you build the two dual-ganged or not!

All my stuff is mainly mono, though, 'cause I used to mainly play out and only recorded once.
Now I'm a shut-in and don't record, or play, or practice. I barely have time to build pedals... *sigh*

For true stereo you need stereo input, two separate channels, stereo output. And two microphones that record simultaneously. Stereo requires signals that are not identical. Having two identical signals is the same as mono split L/R.
You can make "fake" stereo by splitting mono signal, phase shifting one channel (slight delay, 10-15ms for example). Still not stereo but sounds good enough.
Here's short comparison. The same track for L and R channel. First 11 seconds - L/R panned center. 11s-22s - hard panned L and R. 22s-34s - hard panned L and R plus 15ms shift for the R channel.

are you using the unicab in this demo? it sounds fantastic! made me want one :) also, great playing!

Unfortunately no, it's not UniCab. IR this time. And I can't take credit for playing ;) This is quite a popular DI track, often used for various types of tests and comparisons (Lasse & Mago DI Pack).

Back