JHS Double Barrel clone sounds like dying fuzz at times

Changing the resistors in the power section will increase the current drawn from the power by 10X, nothing more (I did some math and the power dissipation is still within the resistor tolerance so that’s fine), but it won’t affect how the circuit sounds. The value of R3 will affect how the two input stages on the TS side are biased but I would need to do the math to figure out how (haven’t done that in a while!). I thought you said the TS side was working no?

Last edited:
Quick update: the PPCB schematic for the moonshine (the TS side of the double barrel) actually does use 1M for R3 so that’s probably a good change. The power section dividers all use 100K though.

I thought you said the TS side was working no?
It was in the beginning....but faced the same problem after a while again.
Quick update: the PPCB schematic for the moonshine (the TS side of the double barrel) actually does use 1M for R3 so that’s probably a good change. The power section dividers all use 100K though.
OK, so the real change came from swapping R3? Is there any disadvantage of leaving the 10k inside in the power section?

Using 10K will draw a lot more current which is not advisable. If using batteries they will drain faster, if using a power supply you will need a higher current draw which may make things less flexible for powering other pedals. It may also cause the pedal to heat up a bit more but I’m not sure how much.

Using 10K will draw a lot more current which is not advisable. If using batteries they will drain faster, if using a power supply you will need a higher current draw which may make things less flexible for powering other pedals. It may also cause the pedal to heat up a bit more but I’m not sure how much.
Ok, thanks. I think I can live with this since both are connected to one power output of a Cioks DC7 that delivers 660mA on that output...if that’s the only drawback, I won’t change anything and run the risk of breaking something...

Back