DIP-4 Sockets

finebyfine

I've had a couple of bags of these on hand for a while and just gotta vouch for how useful they are. DIP-4 sockets aren't impossible to find but they definitely aren't easy to either. Love them for socketing diode or resistor pairs and so much easier to get them to lay nicer than snapped off SIP sockets

4P-round-hole-IC-socket-4P-round-hole-chip-holder-DIP-4-socket-DIP4.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Music6000 - Are those the only two sizes available? ;)

Does the pin get soldered to the pcb pad and the component lead bent to 90º and secure with the set screw?

Music6000 - Are those the only two sizes available? ;)

Does the pin get soldered to the pcb pad and the component lead bent to 90º and secure with the set screw?
Yes, they are only usable where there is a space around them in diodes & resistors as they will foul on each other in the standard 2.5mm spacing.
They work well in my eyelet board builds where I want to try different Transistors
If I have to use a socket for transistors, I only use the Op Amp machined style sockets and cut off what I don't need.
I always tin the Transistor Legs for extra grip :
PI6450-socket-ic-machined-6-pinImageMain-515.jpg

If I have to use a socket for transistors, I only use the Op Amp machined style sockets and cut off what I don't need. I always tin the Transistor Legs for extra grip
I often have the same trouble with machined sockets & thinner transistor leads. Do you just leave a super-thin layer of solder on there or what?

I often have the same trouble with machined sockets & thinner transistor leads. Do you just leave a super-thin layer of solder on there or what?
Yes, Practice makes perfect.
Just use left over resistor legs to practice on, you will get the hang of it pretty quick & you need to be quick so not to fry the transistor.
A good practice is to use an Alligator clip to absorb the heat on the leg you are tinning!!!

20190512_202647.jpg

Reactions: fig
Back