Why Gain on Sproing Deluxe?

jhaneyzz

Why does the Tremolo side of the Sproing Deluxe have a gain knob?

The Gain doesn't apply to just the Tremolo signal, it affects the whole signal when the trem is engaged.

Unless someone wanted a boost or cut ONLY when using Tremolo would this be useful. Is that a thing?

Tremolo often creates a perceived volume drop - you’re subtracting a huge chunk of your signal by constantly bringing its value down from its peak, it ends up sounding quieter overall.

That’s why the Shoot the Moon (the circuit in the Sproing Deluxe) and a lot of other tremolo pedals (like the EQD Hummingbird, Caroline Parabola, and the later revisions of the Boss TR-2 have an internal trimpot) have the ability to boost and make up for the perceived volume loss.

Why does the Tremolo side of the Sproing Deluxe have a gain knob?

The Gain doesn't apply to just the Tremolo signal, it affects the whole signal when the trem is engaged.

Unless someone wanted a boost or cut ONLY when using Tremolo would this be useful. Is that a thing?
It's to help balance any perceived volume loss that is typical with tremolo usage

Because the tremolo circuit that was combined with the Sproing to make the Sproing Deluxe had a gain knob. ;)

Depending on your settings and value of LDR used the perceived volume could vary.

I suppose it could have been an internal trim pot, but then folks would start wiring it up and mounting it on the enclosure and this thread would have read "Why doesn't the Sproing Deluxe have an external gain control?" 🤣

Tremolo often creates a perceived volume drop - you’re subtracting a huge chunk of your signal by constantly bringing its value down from its peak, it ends up sounding quieter overall.

That’s why the Shoot the Moon (the circuit in the Sproing Deluxe) and a lot of other tremolo pedals (like the EQD Hummingbird, Caroline Parabola, and the later revisions of the Boss TR-2 have an internal trimpot) have the ability to boost and make up for the perceived volume loss.
We posted at the same time 😅

I did the resistor change recommended in some old threads to adjust the volume when the reverb in negaged and now it is working exactly like I hoped it would....

Great pedal.

Back