Charge Pump Noise - Pedal Order Dependent

Dirty_Boogie

I need the collective brain power of this fine forum please to help me solve this... I have two PedalPCB pedals - a Kliche Mini (Klon), and a Cetus (Victory Kraken). I'd like to think I build quality pedals, with clean soldering, and clean, minimal wiring. Both pedals use a charge pump to bump up the voltage to 18V. I'm using high quality charge pumps, and a high quality isolated 1-Spot TruTone isolated power supply. My problem is this...

If the Kliche is placed before the Cetus, the Cetus emits a high-pitched whine when on. This is regardless if the Kliche is on or off (probably because it's "always" on as a buffered bypass pedal). Switch the order of the pedals, and no whine from the Cetus. I've switched out the charge pumps (other 1044CPA's). Also, same problem if using 9V batteries, and not the 1-Spot power supply. Removed all other pedals for this test video:

And the gut shots:
IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks.

Maybe it's very outsided advise, but thats what I do to get 18v for a pedal. I bought an voltage doubling cable from Voodoo Lab, which is optional for the Voodoo Lab pedal power 2 plus. No troubles with oscillations.
Yeah I have a few of those cables as well, but you definitely should NOT plug 18v into the Kliche family of pedals or the Victory V1 family of pedals because they all utilize a charge pump

Yeah I have a few of those cables as well, but you definitely should NOT plug 18v into the Kliche family of pedals or the Victory V1 family of pedals because they all utilize a charge pump
You have to dump the charge pump first, but yah right, you need +18v and -9v for a Kliche.

Last edited:
Good question, I'll try over the next few days and report back.

Not sure if you meant me or the OP, but yes my 2 power supplies are isolated. A Voodoolab Pedal Power 2 Plus and a Friedman Power Grid
I have the pedal power 2 plus and it's not the best when it comes to isolation compared to newer power supplies. I've had high pitched whine with pedals that use voltage doublers on the pp2+ that will go away when I've switch to the newer voodoo labs x4

I have the pedal power 2 plus and it's not the best when it comes to isolation compared to newer power supplies. I've had high pitched whine with pedals that use voltage doublers on the pp2+ that will go away when I've switch to the newer voodoo labs x4
Good to know.
As i understand in most cases not every single output on power supply is completely isolated from each other on a own tap of the transformator. The VL PP2+ it seem to have 1 to 4 on one tap, 5+6 on one and 7+8 on another. The 4x4 seem to have 4 different taps.

Last edited:
Someone could make bank if they were to design a PP2+ style supply where every ground isolated tap can be selected b/w 9,15 OR 18v @ 100mA. It would solve a lot of issues (namely, abandoning the need for charge pumps). Is there one out there like that?

Someone could make bank if they were to design a PP2+ style supply where every ground isolated tap can be selected b/w 9,15 OR 18v @ 100mA. It would solve a lot of issues (namely, abandoning the need for charge pumps). Is there one out there like that?
I think the high end cioks power supplies like the dc7 let you select the voltage like that for each ouput and I believe each output is isolated from each other since it's transformerless and is a high-end switchmode power supply. I think Voodoo Labs more recent releases like the pp3 and pp+ as well as the x4 use more modern switch mode style of setup.

I think the high end cioks power supplies like the dc7 let you select the voltage like that for each ouput and I believe each output is isolated from each other since it's transformerless and is a high-end switchmode power supply. I think Voodoo Labs more recent releases like the pp3 and pp+ as well as the x4 use more modern switch mode style of setup.
Yep, the Cioks 7 does this. It'll output 5, 9, 12, 15, 18, and I believe 24V.

Back