Skidmark Sonomatic

giovanni

This build gave me some trouble. First, when I drilled the enclosure, I used painters tape to protect it from aluminum shavings, like I always do. However, the paint took off a few of the UV printed details, mostly thin lines around the foot switches but also in a couple other places (started a thread for that - still haven’t heard from Hugo). That was very annoying but I guess the lesson learned is to either use the gloss layer over the whole thing to protect it (Cees’s file didn’t have a gloss layer) or maybe just use their drilling service so I don’t have to risk it.

Second, I had some trouble with two of the four switches which apparently failed. The trails switch didn’t make good contact in one of the poles/throws and the 3PDT bypass foot switch was shorting. This is strange because I’m pretty sure I tested both before installing them. I wonder if they got damaged by too much heat, although I don’t usually have this kind of problem as I only apply heat for 3-5 seconds at a time. For the trails switch I noticed that the holes on the PCB are a bit too snug for a solder lug switch, maybe the force applied to fit it in misplaced one of the pole which may explain the issue. I bent the lugs with pliers before installing the second one to make sure it fit. I’m gonna have to find a different switch for my next build.

Now to the pedal: this thing is really nice sounding, although the noise floor of the 2399s is pretty high (haven’t had time to test a few different ones). You can get some very interesting ambient sounds, almost like a reverb, and cranking the swell all the way is a pleasure. I built this for a friend I haven’t seen in a few years whom I’ll see in Italy in a few days (so the timeliness of finishing this build was important), and I will build one for myself after I’m back. I highly recommend this pedal if you are not afraid of troubleshooting, although hopefully my experience was not the norm. I used Cees’s UV print file for the graphics, on Tayda gold enclosure, with Tayda black aluminum knobs. It looks really nice.

IMG_2131.jpeg
IMG_2024.jpeg

I highly recommend this pedal.
:unsure:

I regret not getting around to ordering this PCB, as far as I know the boards are no longer available what with Cees' passing.

Safe travels to (and from) Italy, I'm sure your friend will be delighted with this awesome build. Also looking forward to your return and the build report for your own personal build (with which, you'll feature that amp more prominently, yes? ;))

Back