DEMO Deflector Reverb (EQD Afterneath)

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
this reverb is awesome.
10/10 would recommend everyone build one.
despite my first attempt to build this hasn’t been successful (yet), this isn’t a difficult build (at least if you get one with the FV-1 pre-soldered).

second attempt was a breeze and i’m absolutely thrilled with how this sounds.
not surprised its been popular, such a fun effect to just plug in and play.

IMG_4156.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

i like that it’s capable of being dialled back to a more subtle reverb that can be as small or big as you like, sorta seemingly a blend of spring/plate/hall (i'm not sure really but it's good) and then it can be bonkers and be huge and washy and over the top and damn that stuff is fun.

i kinda see this pedal as being like a dual effect ie. reverb + delay, but the way the delay lines are employed/controlled is brilliant, with the external clock control ('density' / ‘drag’) - behaving like nothing i've used before - perhaps similar to the 'S-TIME' control on a Boss TE-2, and 'disperse' / 'diffuse' seemingly behaving like an attack control. super cool.
my first FV-1 experience, i'm impressed that DIY can bring us something that sounds this cool and useable.

IMG_4097.jpeg

did a demo, got a bit lost in the sauce.
starts with subtle settings, gradually gets real washy with lots of feedback, decay etc.

In the wishlist at Musikding! Changed into the VCR, because, after some reading I learned that my Mercury X should be able to approximate the Afterneath. Alongside the Organ Doner... (as this looks to be cheaper than importing the boards+chips into Europe? PCBs in letters seem to go through customs without any extra costs.).

The fine 80min documentary that introduced me to this pedal.

Last edited:
In the wishlist at Musikding! Changed into the VCR, because, after some reading I learned that my Mercury X should be able to approximate the Afterneath
well, the mercury X looks like it’d have more processing power than the entire 1969 apollo 11 moon mission, so i’d hope that it can. (looks like an awesome unit tbh)

VCR would certainly be a fun build though.
next FV-1 build on my list is either gonna be the spatialist reverb or the hydra delay (or both eventually)

well, the mercury X looks like it’d have more processing power than the entire 1969 apollo 11 moon mission, so i’d hope that it can. (looks like an awesome unit tbh)

VCR would certainly be a fun build though.
next FV-1 build on my list is either gonna be the spatialist reverb or the hydra delay (or both eventually)
Can't wait for the Mercury Editor to become available (the LVX is already there). Should making my presets a whole lot more fun (read: speedy).

Found it hard to choose between the models available at PedalPCB, but his turned out to be my other FV-1. Trying to find the things that sound unlike the things I might approximate with what I got. I figured I can use more psychedelic weirdness!

Last edited:
Love that enclosure color! The Deflector has been a staple of my live board since I built it when it first came out. The sound just never fails to impress no matter what it's used for.

Love that enclosure color! The Deflector has been a staple of my live board since I built it when it first came out. The sound just never fails to impress no matter what it's used for.

the metallic candies coming out of tayda lately are a godsend 👌🏻 (was getting pretty bored of all the flat colours)

heck yeah, are you running it in front of an amp or fx loop?

(haven’t tried it in the loop yet, i guess it would be a touch cleaner?)

In the loop. First in a 6505mh (ironically I used the clean channel) and now a Blackstar Amped II. The fidelity of the verb is off the charts.

I've built a Deflector (for verb deep dives), Spatialist (to cover different verb types), Hydra (for tape-ish multi-head) and Fuzz Dog Echo Dream clone (for delay modulation) and between those 4, I can pretty much get anything and everything I'd ever want with verb and delay. The Deflector and Spatialist are a match made in heaven!

I've built a Deflector (for verb deep dives), Spatialist (to cover different verb types), Hydra (for tape-ish multi-head) and Fuzz Dog Echo Dream clone (for delay modulation) and between those 4, I can pretty much get anything and everything I'd ever want with verb and delay. The Deflector and Spatialist are a match made in heaven!
heck yeah 🧙🏻‍♂️

spatialist will probably be next FV-1 build, real keen to hear the verbs on that one

Back