Aion FX Straylight

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Easy but pricey build. Just spent a little more than usual on it just because.

Very cool build especially with the light box. Instructions were idiot proof. Built to BOM. The slimmer 1uF film caps are needed for space although I was one short, so I had to install one on the back side.

I was unable to get my Electro Vibe mini up and running so it is nice to have a very close Uni Vibe clone finally. It sounds killer and has some cool features like the cancel toggle and the input level slide switch. Relatively minor features but cool to have included.

Easy to bias as well. Instructions were a big help.

I'm certainly no expert on this effect like others on the forum but I just know I love the sound. Very pronounced and lush. For comparison, I've only played the TC Electronics Vicious Vibe (my favorite), EQD Depths, JHS Unicorn, and Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe. This build sounds as good if not better than those. Especially for what I use it for. Trippy, doom-y, stoner rock stuff.

I have graphics for it and new knobs but just wanted to post the build for now.

Not much more to add. Great stuff.

Attachments

• 20240730_203304.jpg
    20240730_203304.jpg
    914.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20240730_203311.jpg
    20240730_203311.jpg
    909.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20240730_182717.jpg
    20240730_182717.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20240730_203243.jpg
    20240730_203243.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20240730_203254.jpg
    20240730_203254.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
did you use a lamp or will a (carefully set)led work? I've been eyeballing it since I got the email about the board sell out. Love to see what graphics you'll apply.

did you use a lamp or will a (carefully set)led work? I've been eyeballing it since I got the email about the board sell out. Love to see what graphics you'll apply.
I used the 2174 incandescent lamp as suggested. According to the build docs, it seems like an LED will work just will not have the same effect as the lamp. The light box may help though

Great job with that one! Finished mine a couple of weeks ago and it was great. Well until today when half of it stopped working :eek:. Out with the multimeter! :dmm:

Just got my board in the mail. The electrovibe is my white whale pedal i have one i have never been able to get right. I thought ive had it a few times then no go, im convinced theres a bad solder joint though ive reflowed it multiple times.

So i too decided to try this one as much as i dont enjoy the way the aion layouts are.

Just got my board in the mail. The electrovibe is my white whale pedal i have one i have never been able to get right. I thought ive had it a few times then no go, im convinced theres a bad solder joint though ive reflowed it multiple times.

So i too decided to try this one as much as i dont enjoy the way the aion layouts are.
Good luck

Make sure you take your time.

People think the Univibe is a beginners circuit and the ElectroVibe is one of the most botched projects I’ve seen on the forum.

There are a shit ton of components and if you rush or don’t have the troubleshooting g skills to get it working, you are wasting a good amount of time and parts.

I echo @VanWhy about good luck but I think it boils down to your patience and soldering skills.

Make sure you take your time.

People think the Univibe is a beginners circuit and the ElectroVibe is one of the most botched projects I’ve seen on the forum.

There are a shit ton of components and if you rush or don’t have the troubleshooting g skills to get it working, you are wasting a good amount of time and parts.

I echo @VanWhy about good luck but I think it boils down to your patience and soldering skills.
Somewhere i blew it not sure where. It long ago reached the rebuild it stage. Ive buiilt far more complicated pedals and no issue. I just flubbed something.

Back