Recommend me a signal generator

Harry Klippton

For several years, I've been using the Keuwlsoft function generator on an old phone that has a headphone jack, but now I have a need for a 400hz -10dBv signal for calibration purposes. Based on what I measured, I can't quite get -10dBv out of the phone, and it's not a calibrated signal.

This is something I have a regular need for, not a one-off. If there's something cheap that'll do the job appropriately, I'm all for it. But I don't need to cheap out just to be cheap. "It's just for DIY" doesn't apply cuz it's not.

I've never used an actual signal generator before, so I don't know what I don't know or what to look for exactly.

135205i9B42EF54EDCA22A3.gif

So that's -7.782 dBu/~316mV(check my math)
Pretty much any modern audio interface can output that and then some.
Load up a sine wave generator, pan it to one side and bust out you DMM.
That's a cheap and easy way until you get a bench utility anyway.
Oh. I'd use the line/main output, not the headphone out.
An idea anyway...

In my own defense, I'd like to point out that I wanted something nice for my birthday 2024 and I had just paid off the Credit Card which got clobbered with medical/funeral expenses when my wife kicked the bucket in 2021. I started by looking at kits, then assembled kits, then really old RED LED display units, then new units and before I knew it this was on the porch.... 🤟 :cool: 🍻

1722798771785.png

Doh! -10dBv is consumer line level out. Got an old component CD player laying around(aren't they all?)? Or an ADAT?
Burn a CD of your test tone at full volume(or maybe -0.5db, pop it in and take the line level out of the CD player.
As long as the CD player just converting and spitting out line level(no volume control, EQ curves) it should be close enough for tape calibration. Again, check with your DMM or scope.
Again. Not a pretty solution but should be doable with little more investment than some time.

Oh. Could also work with a unbalanced out on a audio interface.

...then really old RED LED display units, then new units and before I knew it this was on the porch.... 🤟 :cool: 🍻

View attachment 79629
How do you like it and what kind of scope do you have?

How do you like it and what kind of scope do you have?

It works well, and looks slick. Trouble shooting tube amps all I use is the 100mv/1000hz tho. Total overkill but I wanted something nice for my birthday, lol. And it IS nice!

Got my Oscilloscope OWON SDS7102V from this guy, but it was a lot less at $248.06, I did get the bag, but no battery.... I don't anticipate needing one.

Looks like an unloaded 18650 battery pack is around $12-15 on Ali if you decide you want one...
I have a squat load of 18650's, battery sleds, BMS and Buck down/up chips that I've used to make power packs for various equipment.

But really, I don't go anywhere.... lol.... 68 and happily retired.

Back