2n5457 Replacement

Billyhank

What would be a good substitute for a 2N5457 in a Bluesbreaker circuit? 28869E51-C741-4576-807B-3F26CED00F8B.png I’ve included the schematic if that’ll help.

I'd 100% recommend the SMD adapter board route. There is much less risk of getting counterfeit parts (a big problem), and the Vp & Idss specs are much more consistent. I had 100 of these SMD adapter boards made at JLC PCB for less than $10. It has sides for DSG and SGD pinout, but none of my SMD JFETs have been the correct pinout for the SGD side. The DSG side works great though, and has the pinout labelled on the silkscreen. If you go to "Action" -> "Download", you can download the Gerbers and order them from your fab house of choice.

The boards + transistors will run you quite a bit cheaper than through-hole JFETs, especially if you buy a bunch:
  • ~$1/each for less than 10
  • ~$0.50/each for 10-100
  • ~$0.30/each for 100+

You can get SMD 2N5457s (MMBF5457) at Digikey, Tayda (currently out of stock) and even Amazon (I've purchased these & they tested fine, but YMMV)

You can get SMD J201s (MMBFJ201) at Digikey, Smallbear, Tayda, and AES

I'd 100% recommend the SMD adapter board route. There is much less risk of getting counterfeit parts (a big problem), and the Vp & Idss specs are much more consistent. I had 100 of these SMD adapter boards made at JLC PCB for less than $10. It has sides for DSG and SGD pinout, but none of my SMD JFETs have been the correct pinout for the SGD side. The DSG side works great though, and has the pinout labelled on the silkscreen. If you go to "Action" -> "Download", you can download the Gerbers and order them from your fab house of choice.

The boards + transistors will run you quite a bit cheaper than through-hole JFETs, especially if you buy a bunch:
  • ~$0.50/each for 10-100
  • ~$0.30/each for 100+

You can get SMD 2N5457s (MMBF5457) at Digikey, Tayda (currently out of stock) and even Amazon (I've purchased these & they tested fine, but YMMV)

I’ve got one coming from a member here, totally offered up to send me one. Lol. I was just impatient and wanted to finish the build with something that would work.
I was planning on keeping an eye out for some 5457s or the smd boards.

Nice! I was nervous to solder these at first, but it was actually super simple. The key is to secure the adapter board in place in a piece of blue tack and pre-cut 1-2mm lengths of solder to place near the pad. That way you can hold the tiny SMD part in place with tweezers and melt the solder onto one of the pins. It will be pinned in place after that and you can solder the other pins no problem.

Nice! I was nervous to solder these at first, but it was actually super simple. The key is to secure the adapter board in place in a piece of blue tack and pre-cut 1-2mm lengths of solder to place near the pad. That way you can hold the tiny SMD part in place with tweezers and melt the solder onto one of the pins. It will be pinned in place after that and you can solder the other pins no problem.
I’m a little nervous about them too. Lol. I’ve never worked with something that small.

• ~$0.50/each for 10-100
  • ~$0.30/each for 100+

Thanks for that heads up. I'm getting used to soldering smd Jfets to adapter boards, but some places charge a little much for just a few adapters. This bulk purchase hits the spot, and free shipping.

You could use j113 here too. Any jfet for that matter, although you'll need to change RX4 to set the bias properly.

(just realized this post is from 2021--hopefully the OP has it sorted by now :))

Back