“Warmest” LOW-gain OD or distortion in YOUR opinions?!?

Caldo71

Hey gang,

I’m looking to start a new PedalPCB build to express something akin to what a lovely tube amp sounds like when it’s just over the edge of breakup. Semi-distorted if you will. Thought you all might have opinions.

Before I get trolled, I do of course realize that “warm” is a VERY subjective term, and also realize that this is possibly the arena where solid state components lack the most subtlety...so I am NOT expecting miracles here ;-)

that said, I’d like to find a circuit where the designer has invested all his efforts and components into trying to give us that hard-to-quantify depth and dimensionality that tubes offer up, that touch-sensitivity, and maybe a little bit of “sag” like a tweed or any early Marshall.

If anyone here has something in their PedalPCB arsenal that they really dig for this...I’m all ears.

Thanks!

I don’t think there’s a pcb on this site (yet anyway) but the BJFE / bearfoot Honey Bee is what comes to mind from your description. You can find it from other pcb sites.

The Son of Ben (Benson Preamp) will get you really close. So will the Simulcast, I guess, but it colors the tone a bit more than the Son of Ben.

Hey gang,

I’m looking to start a new PedalPCB build to express something akin to what a lovely tube amp sounds like when it’s just over the edge of breakup. Semi-distorted if you will. Thought you all might have opinions.

Before I get trolled, I do of course realize that “warm” is a VERY subjective term, and also realize that this is possibly the arena where solid state components lack the most subtlety...so I am NOT expecting miracles here ;-)

that said, I’d like to find a circuit where the designer has invested all his efforts and components into trying to give us that hard-to-quantify depth and dimensionality that tubes offer up, that touch-sensitivity, and maybe a little bit of “sag” like a tweed or any early Marshall.

If anyone here has something in their PedalPCB arsenal that they really dig for this...I’m all ears.

Thanks!
I absolutely love the Eternal Burst (Lovepedal Eternity Burst) and it seems like an overlooked circuit. It sounds amazing by itself, very versatile; put a boost in front of it like the Amentum (EQD Arrows) and it just sings. Such a great OD and very simple to build.

Been doing some YouTube listening, and for what all that is worth I think Son of Ben is definitely closest to what I'm after. I'm definitely a fan of FET based clipping...I feel like the whole diode thing can be overrated.

Back