100v Mixer from Japan on 120v power?

Erik S

I'm irrationally focused on a particular mixer I think would be cool to use with a 4 track tape deck I'm working on.

I don't really have any idea what's good in mixers, or what features will end up being useful, I'm just chasing a dream and collecting half-working gear at this point, and the silly part is that I like the Tascam M-208 mixer mostly because it's the right footprint, and it sort of matches my Tascam tape deck.

There are some listings for nice looking "serviced" M-208s in Japan for 500-600 bucks surprisingly with free shipping. In the US, they're being listed for more like 700-900, and no free shipping

Apparently household power in Japan is 100v instead of the 120v I have here, and I'm reading conflicting stuff on the internet ranging from "Run it on 120, it'll be fine" to - "It'll blow up/ overheat unless you run it on a step down transformer".

I feel silly considering spending 500 bucks on one of these, but it's possible I could talk myself into it. 700 is probably not going to happen.

Anyone have any experience running equipment from other countries on step up/ down transformers? They don't look that expensive. Is it important to get a good one?

Also - I swear I'll get back to building pedals at some point. Thanks for reading / putting up with all my non-pedal crap.

Oooh. That would be cool.

The parts list has different part numbers listed for power supply PCBs for different markets, but there was a "General Export" version with jumpers.

The seller I'm looking at in Tokyo with the cheapest listing does say it would need a transformer, but they also sell $30 transformers.

1713809507367.png

Back