1979 Distortion+ "restoration"(/spare parts) build

StompBoxParts

Authorized Vendor
Went to gear swap a few weeks ago. Someone was selling a Distortion+ without the PCB, bottom plate, and missing a knob, I nabbed it for $20. I come from a background of repairing and restoring gear, and I've always had an affinity for restoring vintage gear and thought it would be fun to make this old thing sing again. Main enclosure, 1979 dated pots, and jacks appear to be original. Switch is probably not original but who cares.

Used as many spare parts as I could, whatever was in random sort bins. Found a chunk of our stripboard laying around. 1n695 germanium diodes for mojo.

Got a set of new knobs, let them sit in some dirt for a few hours, then soaked in some coffee for a few hours. They look old to me! If anyone has a (genuinely) old MXR knob in this style that they want to sell, let me know. I'd love to get original-ish knobs on this thing.

It's a keeper.

IMG_7071 (1).jpg
IMG_7030 (1).jpg

I fixed a distortion+ for someone I know several months ago. The date codes on the pots were for '79. Someone had drilled a hole in the side of the enclosure and had a battery snap to barrel jack adapter hanging through it 🤦 so per the owner's request, I installed a proper DC jack in the hole. Everything else was fine, but it was CRUDDY inside. The foam had long deteriorated and left its ghost behind. And the pots were dirty.
Screenshot_20221008-204541-426.png Screenshot_20221008-204601-507.png

Back