2 Builds: Special K and the Ice Vendor…

Coda

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I’m batting .500 the last week, build wise. Here are the two that work: the Special K (EQD Special Cranker; left), and the Ice Vendor Distortion (Colorsound Tonebender Distortion; right)…

IMG_3938.jpeg

Bare enclosures for now; when I tried to paint them, the spray paint froze in mid air, and just kinda hung there…like a mist. Cold and snowy here…

IMG_3936.jpeg

Let’s do the Ice Vendor first. The Tonebender Distortion dates from the sad later days of Colorsound. It’s basically a Distortion+ with Si diodes, and a BMP tone stack. It was a super simple build. From Turing on the iron to first test strum was almost an even hour. I was underwhelmed with this one at first. Then it dawned on me that I had no idea what it was supposed to sound like. So, I started listening to what’s is, rather than what it should be. I quickly warmed up to the pedal. It’s more aggressive than a Distortion+, and the tone stack is more usable than it would be on a BMP.

However, it only really cooks when it’s driving something that’s already cooking. On its own I to a clean amp it’s a little muffled. Run into a Klon at slight grit and it’s excellent. This circuit would greatly benefit from adding the Q4 stage from a BMP…

EQD Special Cranker: It is my opinion that EQD is the best in the biz today. This pedal is no exception. It is excellent. The best setting is all knobs dimed. The tone stack is barely there. I prefer the Ge mode, because it’s a little softer/saggier/fuzzier. The Si mode has more snarl and high gain. But wait, there’s more! This thing cleans up great too. Gotta run it first, though…

In review; both of these distortions are excellent. Once can be improved. The other is a goddamn futher muckin rock and roll machine…

…as you were.

Glad to see you’re finally building again. I’m itching to spray paint some enclosures myself, but this darned Jersey weather…

Back