2N2222A = 2N2222 (more or less?)

Ginsly

I'll be trying my hand at a Propolis soon, so I need some 2N2222's. I have some random black ones I thought were 2N2222, but they seem to be 2N2222A's.

The board itself seems to indicate that metal can transistors are ideal, but I keep on finding 2N2222A's like this: https://stompboxparts.com/2n2222a-npn-transistor-metal-can/

Going forward, are these essentially interchangeable? Within the "A" category is there a benefit to using the metal cans rather than the plastic ones I have? Metal can 2N2222's seem harder to come by. I've also read that 2N3906 is a decent sub for these...

Thanks, very curious!

@cdwillis & @Feral Feline - thanks much! Sounds like it won't make a huge difference in the Propolis... 🤷‍♂️

I've seen 2N2222 in a few BOMs so far, but it seems that all I can really find are 2N2222A. Any advice on where to find them if I REALLY wanna stick to the schematic? Or are they so close that it's not worth the effort...

Small Bear has these, but I don't really need enough from SBE at the moment: https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/unbranded-2n2222-work-alike/

Amongst the "A-Team", Any real reason to get the metal can 2N2222As rather than just use the little black ones I already have?

M

Also a PN2222A and a 2PN2222A ... Probably the most confusing damned transistor I've encountered. :ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of my WIP folders for projects.
Final.dch, Final1.dch, Final - Copy.dch, FinalFinal.dch, FinalREALLYTHISISTHELASTONE.dch
Hahahaha I'm a printmaker and do a lot of Photoshop image prep - the amount of "oh no, DEFINITELY the MOST RECENT.psd" is absolutely out of control. Hilarious, man.

So... what would YOU use in the Propolis, @Robert ? 2N2222A close enough, or do I hunt for metal can 2N2222?

Also a PN2222A and a 2PN2222A ... Probably the most confusing damned transistor I've encountered. :ROFLMAO:

Final.dch, Final1.dch, Final - Copy.dch, FinalFinal.dch, FinalREALLYTHISISTHELASTONE.dch
Calling a file final is the surefire kiss of death "do it again" in my experience. I had to stop calling the deliverables that a decade ago.

Mouser has them, but the original used TO-92.
1701970019129.png

This is an older schematic that wasn't actually my trace, so it very well could have been 2N2222A ...

I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

@Robert - thanks SO much, I really appreciate it!

That was awesome of you to post the Regular Fuzz BOM too. Very much looking forward to that one!

Any close-enough subs for the ZTX618 and ZTX649 in that one?

My recording folder looks like that. Drives my singer nuts when we're working on a track.

Back