SOLVED 3PDT led ring blowing up

Northern

Hello! I just finished building my first pedal and I couldn't be more happy about it. I built the Cataclysm Delay and everything is working perfectly except the LED. Instead of using a standard LED I used an "illuminated 3pdt blue LED switch" paired with the breakout board from PedalPCB .

After finishing the build, I tested the pedal with a 9V battery and everything went well, the effect was working and the led ring of the 3pdt switch was lighting correctly. I then soldered the 9v dc jack and tested it again but this time with a 9v 200mA power supply. The LED ring was much dimmer so I removed the plastic cover to inspect and to my surprise, 3 of the 6 little LEDs were not lighting at all, 1 looked normal and the 2 others were very dimmed. I tested again with a 9v battery and got the same result as I had with the power supply so I guess I blew them out...

Before replacing the switch and blowing out the LED again, I would like to figure what I did wrong. As per the recommendations I saw here, I replaced the 4k7 resistor with a 1k resistor (R8 on the Cataclysm Delay if I'm correct) and ran jumper wires from the LED legs to the "A / K" pads on the pedal PCB.

Could the 1k resistor be the source of the problem? I was recommended 470R for red and 1K for all other colors, mine was blue. Is there any other recurrent problem causing a LED to blow out?

Thank you very much and do not hesitate if you need more information about the build to provide help!

Here is how I made it on my angry andy plus. Not sure I made it the good way, I jumpered the LED spot on the board. Kept the resostor value as indicated. It all seems to work as it should.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-163652_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-163652_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Here is how I made it on my angry andy plus. Not sure I made it the good way, I jumpered the LED spot on the board. Kept the resostor value as indicated. It all seems to work as it should.
Oh! I did it wrong then. Just tried your method on another build and it works perfectly, I also kept the 4k7 resistor this time. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Nic
Back