$400 spent at Tayda later and I think I am ready to build my first pedal

I'll never forget the first one I heard. I'm in earthquake country here in SoCal, I was in a store and knew it was coming so when I felt the ground moving and heard it, I still had a bit of a shock, but the lady in line in front of me screamed bloody murder and threw the food she was putting on the conveyor belt. She started to dart for the door when I yelled out it was just the space shuttle.

She stopped, laughed a bit, excused herself and headed for the bathrooms, lol....

A 6.5 earthquake is ***terrifying***, and then there's aftershocks for months. A lot of people move. I lived half a block from the epicenter of the 71 quake, and 2 miles from the 1994 one. Scary AF....
That's a funny story! I didn't even think about what it would be like experiencing one of these in earthquake country.

Ordering parts can be crazy. I'm pretty picky about the look of things. After a recent post discussing building a bedroom practice amp, I suggested the Fender Champ. Then I started thinking about it and now I decided to build one myself. I've got this I've drawn in Visio, eventually I'll pluck out just the board, remove the components and print that page to stick to some G10 board and drill the holes and swag the turrets or eyelets in (still haven't decided which). But, and I digress, I realized the 470 ohm had to be a power resistor for the 6v6 and when I double checked sure enough it's 5 watts. So now I have to redraw that part to make some space between the space heater resistor and the capacitors, or maybe I'll just go vertical. (and I obviously still have more to draw, I do it at night while watching TV)

But ANYWAY, I've never liked those square cement resistors and found a good deal on some Ohmite 470r 5w 'brown devil' type resistors like the ones on the original tweeds. Guy on Reverb selling the same part number for $7.50 each, I got 35 of them from Newark for $.425 each. Now, their flat rate shipping is 10 buck$, so of course I didn't want to pay that freight for just one lol. So now I have 34 more than I need.

If anyone wants to make a champ, lemme know I'll give you a great price, lmao.... So my total for the one resistor I'll need was $26-ish. The chassis, iron, spdt switch/1MA pot combo and electrolytics are about $200 at CE Dist. I already have everything else from other "but I should get more to make the freight worth it" syndrome 🖖😎

View attachment 38158 View attachment 38159
In cathode biased amps the bias resistor value is really important and unfortunately to get the best sounding amp it's rarely the value stated on the schematic - especially with the way voltages have changed over the years. And as I live in Australia where the voltages are nominally 240V 50Hz (Varying from 235 - 245VAC through the day) I have to pay close attention to the voltages on the bias section.

If I build, say, a 5E3 Deluxe and use the stock 250 Ohm resistor (or 270 Ohms as is more likely what is available) I'll probably end up with an amp running way hot. So I end up buying multiples of various values from 220R to as high as 1K. The last 5E3 I built used a MM transformer with lower than stock B+ in an effort to sound more authentic (as Clark Amps do) and the bias resistor I used ended up being around 470R if I remember correctly. I find biasing cathode biased amps at around 100% gets me plenty of headroom but when it breaks up it's a wonderful full-bodied, powerful break-up which sings. If you use the stock value of 250 you get less headroom and a spongier sound ending up in mush. You'll also go through your power tubes a lot faster.

I’m only a couple months into the hobby and also did a “front load” order from Tayda that was about $400. But we’re talking like 10 pedals (at least) worth of stuff (including enclosures) plus a start up inventory of general parts.

I’m really glad I did (even though it seems like a lot at first glance), if I hadn’t done it like that, I’d be making $25 to $50 orders left and right. I’ve got a nice list of the projects I want to take on here as a novice and have everything I need to do it. I’m sure I’ve forgotten things I haven’t realized yet, but that’s what happens when you start something new.

That being said, I do recommend to beginners what I’ve done and he who started the post has done: make a list of projects you’d like to do (however big or small), order everything you need, and then add a couple extra of certain things as you put things in your cart. Say you need 3 A100k pots, order 5-6: you’ll be glad you have them later!

Last edited:
Welcome to the hobby!

I'm always running out of jacks and 3pdt footswitches because they're the most expensive parts other than the enclosure. Alpha 3pdt is $3.69, but I only use those if I'm building for someone else. Otherwise I usually use the cheaper Tayda ones that are $2.49. The Neutrik looking generic jacks are 89 cents, which isn't too bad. You can always get those enclosed stereo jacks for 45 cents, but I don't care for them. I know the pin layout now, but at first I was always mixing up the tip/sleeve connections on the damned things.

Definitely consider getting Pedalpcb drilling jigs. They made my life way easier.

Welcome to the hobby!

I'm always running out of jacks and 3pdt footswitches because they're the most expensive parts other than the enclosure. Alpha 3pdt is $3.69, but I only use those if I'm building for someone else. Otherwise I usually use the cheaper Tayda ones that are $2.49. The Neutrik looking generic jacks are 89 cents, which isn't too bad. You can always get those enclosed stereo jacks for 45 cents, but I don't care for them. I know the pin layout now, but at first I was always mixing up the tip/sleeve connections on the damned things.

Definitely consider getting Pedalpcb drilling jigs. They made my life way easier.

Thanks for that.. I'll be trying my first few enclosures without a template and see how that goes. So far everything I have gotten has basically come from Tayda except a few parts I couldn't find there.

Welcome to the hobby!

I actually really like the Tayda red color stomp switches (A-5509) and these have become my preferred 3PDT. Feels like a 1kg click, so a little on the softer side)

And I think it was you @cdwillis that turned me onto their mono open frame jacks (A-4556). Those have become my goto jacks. For .74 they're the deal. Solid jacks and look like they will hold up well.

Also, some folks have mentioned the quality of their Tayda branded potentiometers. I've recently started using them, half the price of the Alpha's. (.39 cents) so I can stock up on common values. Just looking at them closely it looks like the same OEM vendor that makes the SPB branded ones, which I've been using all along. So far so good, although I did have one bad pot in the last batch I ordered. (But I've also had a bad Alpha before as well).

Back