$400 spent at Tayda later and I think I am ready to build my first pedal

I'm a hop, skip and a jump from Vandenburg AFB. Seen a few rockets, but watching Musk's rockets coming BACK DOWN was a real trip.... right out of a 50's sci fi.....
Oh wow! I bet it is beautiful there. I'm right by Patrick AFB. We see and hear so many that we don't notice. I miss the space shuttles with their double sonic booms. We will occasionally get a sonic boom on one of the heavy rockets coming back down but not often... actually had one this weekend. You kind of get the idea it is going to happen because those launches rattle the earth a lot more it seems.

It was so funny back in the Shuttle days.. you'd be outside working in the yard and a neighbor would mention the space shuttle was coming back. A little later when the double sonic booms hit they'd jump and say, "WTH was that!" totally shocked/scared by the impact and loudness of it :ROFLMAO:

Oh wow! I bet it is beautiful there. I'm right by Patrick AFB. We see and hear so many that we don't notice. I miss the space shuttles with their double sonic booms. We will occasionally get a sonic boom on one of the heavy rockets coming back down but not often... actually had one this weekend. You kind of get the idea it is going to happen because those launches rattle the earth a lot more it seems.

It was so funny back in the Shuttle days.. you'd be outside working in the yard and a neighbor would mention the space shuttle was coming back. A little later when the double sonic booms hit they'd jump and say, "WTH was that!" totally shocked/scared by the impact and loudness of it :ROFLMAO:
I'll never forget the first one I heard. I'm in earthquake country here in SoCal, I was in a store and knew it was coming so when I felt the ground moving and heard it, I still had a bit of a shock, but the lady in line in front of me screamed bloody murder and threw the food she was putting on the conveyor belt. She started to dart for the door when I yelled out it was just the space shuttle.

She stopped, laughed a bit, excused herself and headed for the bathrooms, lol....

A 6.5 earthquake is ***terrifying***, and then there's aftershocks for months. A lot of people move. I lived half a block from the epicenter of the 71 quake, and 2 miles from the 1994 one. Scary AF....

Ordering parts can be crazy. I'm pretty picky about the look of things. After a recent post discussing building a bedroom practice amp, I suggested the Fender Champ. Then I started thinking about it and now I decided to build one myself. I've got this I've drawn in Visio, eventually I'll pluck out just the board, remove the components and print that page to stick to some G10 board and drill the holes and swag the turrets or eyelets in (still haven't decided which). But, and I digress, I realized the 470 ohm had to be a power resistor for the 6v6 and when I double checked sure enough it's 5 watts. So now I have to redraw that part to make some space between the space heater resistor and the capacitors, or maybe I'll just go vertical. (and I obviously still have more to draw, I do it at night while watching TV)

But ANYWAY, I've never liked those square cement resistors and found a good deal on some Ohmite 470r 5w 'brown devil' type resistors like the ones on the original tweeds. Guy on Reverb selling the same part number for $7.50 each, I got 35 of them from Newark for $.425 each. Now, their flat rate shipping is 10 buck$, so of course I didn't want to pay that freight for just one lol. So now I have 34 more than I need.

If anyone wants to make a champ, lemme know I'll give you a great price, lmao.... So my total for the one resistor I'll need was $26-ish. The chassis, iron, spdt switch/1MA pot combo and electrolytics are about $200 at CE Dist. I already have everything else from other "but I should get more to make the freight worth it" syndrome 🖖😎

1671061344908.png 1671061921521.png

Ordering parts can be crazy. I'm pretty picky about the look of things. After a recent post discussing building a bedroom practice amp, I suggested the Fender Champ. Then I started thinking about it and now I decided to build one myself. I've got this I've drawn in Visio, eventually I'll pluck out just the board, remove the components and print that page to stick to some G10 board and drill the holes and swag the turrets or eyelets in (still haven't decided which). But, and I digress, I realized the 470 ohm had to be a power resistor for the 6v6 and when I double checked sure enough it's 5 watts. So now I have to redraw that part to make some space between the space heater resistor and the capacitors, or maybe I'll just go vertical. (and I obviously still have more to draw, I do it at night while watching TV)

But ANYWAY, I've never liked those square cement resistors and found a good deal on some Ohmite 470r 5w 'brown devil' type resistors like the ones on the original tweeds. Guy on Reverb selling the same part number for $7.50 each, I got 35 of them from Newark for $.425 each. Now, their flat rate shipping is 10 buck$, so of course I didn't want to pay that freight for just one lol. So now I have 34 more than I need.

If anyone wants to make a champ, lemme know I'll give you a great price, lmao.... So my total for the one resistor I'll need was $26-ish. The chassis, iron, spdt switch/1MA pot combo and electrolytics are about $200 at CE Dist. I already have everything else from other "but I should get more to make the freight worth it" syndrome 🖖😎

View attachment 38158 View attachment 38159
That’s cool. I’ve been planning out a 5E3 for a while, but don’t think in need a 470 else I’d buy a couple.

That’s cool. I’ve been planning out a 5E3 for a while, but don’t think in need a 470 else I’d buy a couple.
The 5e3 uses 250 to 300 for the power resistor. 250 is the original, 300 gives a bit more headroom. I have a lot of the 300r brown devils. My builds are still plenty 'neil young crazy horse'-ish. I've tried 250, but took it out and stuck a 300 in.....

The 5e3 uses 250 to 300 for the power resistor. 250 is the original, 300 gives a bit more headroom. I have a lot of the 300r brown devils. My builds are still plenty 'neil young crazy horse'-ish. I've tried 250, but took it out and stuck a 300 in.....
Awesome. We should start an amp thread somewhere

That's married guy talk. My wife is like what's in the cellophane wrapped box from Singapore and I just say it's drugs 🤡

Nope, not married- I just prefer to keep financial logic and math away from my art when possible.
Regardless of the intangible benefits, if I knew exactly how much this all adds up to, I'd probably feel really dumb for not just buying stuff. 🙃

..and hey, can't you just get free drugs from work?

I spent way more but also have the Aussie exchange rate. I have about 5 or 6 partially completed boards and 4-5 completed pedals. Everything went on hold when my Pencil broke and I went overseas for a contract. Hoping to finish some of these projects in 2023.

Back