A few beginner questions about components

Fuzz Wizard

After successfully building my first three pedals, with plenty of help from you guys, I think I'm going to tackle my first non-fuzz circuits. I decided on the Dark Rift Delay and Woodpecker Tremolo. However, I'm having trouble sourcing the ICs for these particular boards, so I'm going to ask a few questions. I'm new to electronics and mostly confused about part numbers for ICs.

1. I can't any PF5102 or 2N6027 transistors anywhere. Both Mouser and Digi-key say that those are obsolete and no longer available. Does anyone know of any sites selling these?

2. For the dark rift, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for with the 78L05 IC. There's nothing on Tayda, and on Mouser I found "Mouser #:863-MC78L05ABPREG", which looks like it might work but has a very different name. Will this work in IC4?

3. Again for the dark rift, I'm a little confused about the LM324A. Tayda has a LM324N, but I'm not sure if that will work or not or if that's a totally different IC.

How could I forget the boys at stompboxparts? Thanks a ton dude.

Good deal, thanks a bunch! I think I'll try socketing that one.

There’s this info listed… I wouldn’t take it as gospel though.

Replacement and Equivalent:

J111, J112, J113, 2N4391, 2N4391, 2N5457

That’s for the 5102

When it comes to JFETs, it's not about part number, it's about Idss and Vgs,off. Even the "right" part number is not guaranteed to work in a given circuit.
Q: Can you sub JFETs in a pedal circuit?
A: For the most part, yes. Some pedal circuits are extremely finicky and the options are slim and none.
Q: How do you know which ones will work?
A: You have to understand the circuit requirements.

Recommended reading:
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/why-are-jfets-such-a-pain-in-the-ass.4878/

Back