A Multi-Knob 1-Knob Fuzz: Mad Scientist or Just Plain Dumb?

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
I decided today to whip up a colorsound one-knob fuzz. There are only 5 resistors in the stock circuit (6 if you include the pulldown resistor) and started swapping them out for pots one by one to see how this affects the sound. I'm now at 3 going on 4 pots. I'm sure this has been done before by SOMEBODY, but is this stupid to have so much "tweakability" or pure genius? The next step would be to substitute the caps and then add a tone control. Is this rabbit hole worth going down or should I take the stock circuit for what it is with maybe a pot or two?
Schematic.png

I decided today to whip up a colorsound one-knob fuzz. There are only 5 resistors in the stock circuit (6 if you include the pulldown resistor) and started swapping them out for pots one by one to see how this affects the sound. I'm now at 3 going on 4 pots. I'm sure this has been done before by SOMEBODY, but is this stupid to have so much "tweakability" or pure genius? The next step would be to substitute the caps and then add a tone control. Is this rabbit hole worth going down or should I take the stock circuit for what it is with maybe a pot or two?
Schematic.png

I've been suggesting useless knobs on simple circuits since way back in the day son.

Ask my homies @Harry Klippton and @thewintersoldier.

Yea. I was gonna tag you and ask this

Those guys bust my balls but I think even they would agree that if a control is genuinely useful on the outside, then do it.

With that said, many controls aren’t. Some of my more extravagant ideas, especially the ridiculous Fuzz Odyssey pedal, was actually driven by the design of the graphics and theme than the actual usefulness.

In my time breadboarding simple fuzzes, especially those of the Fuzz Face variety, the 3 things that seem to make the most sense on the outside are:

1.) Input/Emitter cap switching

2.) Pre-Gain/Clean control

3.) Mids/Output control

Those functions seem to have the most drastic effect on the tone of the pedal and therefore make the most sense for adjusting on the fly.

I’ve abandoned the Fuzz Odyssey thing in favor of a simpler Dunlop JHF1 style pedal.

The Colorsound One Knob is really tuned in such a way stock that @Harry Klippton is not F’ing around when he says a “No-Knob” is the jam.

Output cap straight to the jack and rock!

Those guys bust my balls but I think even they would agree that if a control is genuinely useful on the outside, then do it.

With that said, many controls aren’t. Some of my more extravagant ideas, especially the ridiculous Fuzz Odyssey pedal, was actually driven by the design of the graphics and theme than the actual usefulness.

In my time breadboarding simple fuzzes, especially those of the Fuzz Face variety, the 3 things that seem to make the most sense on the outside are:

1.) Input/Emitter cap switching

2.) Pre-Gain/Clean control

3.) Mids/Output control

Those functions seem to have the most drastic effect on the tone of the pedal and therefore make the most sense for adjusting on the fly.

I’ve abandoned the Fuzz Odyssey thing in favor of a simpler Dunlop JHF1 style pedal.

The Colorsound One Knob is really tuned in such a way stock that @Harry Klippton is not F’ing around when he says a “No-Knob” is the jam.

Output cap straight to the jack and rock!
Where would you control the mids? Just the output cap?

Where would you control the mids? Just the output cap?

Well, Fulltone’s “Mids” control on the ‘70 Fuzz, and to a certain degree the “Contour” on the ‘69 Fuzz, changes the amount of output volume available by manipulating the nominal 330/470 ohm resistor in the Q2 output voltage divider.

By making the nominal value larger, you allow more maximum output and shift unity gain down the dial. More output makes the pedal cut more, etc. Mids might be a misnomer but it definitely gives a more aggressive, punchier quality to the tone.

I personally like this one as an internal trimpot that you can set to taste but it is also useful on the outside as well.

I never finished swapping ALL the resistors, but only 1 really changes the sound of the fuzz and that’s q2’s emitter resistor. The bias pots change the sound to a degree, but only at extremes. I didn’t bother changing the feedback resistor since it’s purpose is to turn on q1. I probably should try that one out when I get a chance. Aion fx has a build doc for a tweakable 1 knobber with additional controls. I may try that one out.

Reactions: fig
I started a thread asking about how I could really mess up a FuzzDog One Knob Colorsound Fuzz: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/okf

@finebyfine helped me sort through some options, but the only thing that really made sense was an external Bias knob for Q2... @BuddytheReow did that work out for you?

Like you, I have to wonder what else can be done to make this thing sound weirder. I have two, so one will stay stock and the other I wanna kinda turn into something else.

If I knew how the Clusterfuzz 8-Bit control worked I'd look into that, but no luck. According to Function f(X), it's a BJT common emitter boost pushing another BJT common emitter amplifier into over-saturation, essentially. I'm still learning, so... I'm not sure how that works.

I feel like the Caroline Hawaiian Pizza is also closely related to the One Knob Fuzz, but slightly expanded and very well tuned. If I could turn this into one of those I'd be thrilled. It seems like NO one has traced that pedal though... 🤔

Back