A pair of delays (Cataclysm and Magnetron)

spi

A friend requested a delay pedal, and I hadn't built one before. I made two so I'd have one to keep, but couldn't decide which circuit, so got the Cataclysm and Magnetron PCBs to experience both.

They both sound really great--Magnetron is a bit fancier with its option to layer modulation on the delays, whereas Cataclysm's special feature is control over the tone of the repeats.

I'm pretty impressed with Magnetron--usually I opt not to enable modulation on delays because they can take over the tone, but this one sits pretty well without being intrusive. Both pedals took some overdrive well.

The Magnetron build was not without some hiccups--the board is so close to the switch, it makes the breakout board impractical, so I used the old fashioned way which was a great reminder why I like breakout boards. The wires to connect the breakout board to the jacks were not long enough to reach the middle of the switch, which I didn't realize until everything was soldered and they were 1mm too short. To fix, I swapped the lumbergs with enclosed jacks, and while removing heatshrink from the lumberg posts I stabbed my finger pretty good with an exacto.

For the enclosures, I borrowed the idea from @DAJE to use sticker tiles. I applied them to the face of the pedals, and used epoxy to clear coat over it.

IMG_20211113_150148198.jpg IMG_20211113_150209387.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. I built the Cataclysm for a friend, and thought it paired really well with some dirt, especially with the tone control.

For board that are close to the switch, I find that using diode leads works real well with the breakout board. I always have to fiddle a bit to insert the 4 leads in while getting the footswitch in, but it makes for a clean and solid connection.

Last edited:
-the board is so close to the switch, it makes the breakout board impractical, so I used the old fashioned way which was a great reminder why I like breakout boards.
I find that using diode leads works real well. I always have to fiddle a bit to insert the 4 leads in while getting the footswitch in, but it makes for a clean and solid connection.
I've used pin headers as well.

A beautiful pair of delays ! :love:

Back