A tale of woe with General Tso (but ends happily)

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
tso_innards.jpg
So while I was waiting for miscellaneous parts and the enclosure to arrive from overseas, I had to build the much-praised General. Short one pot, I hand wired one of the pots and the switch, assuming all would fit neatly and obediently when the housing arrrived. Long story short: they didn't cooperate, to the point of shearing one of the PCB mounted pots out of its housing altogether on tightening it all the way. First time I've done this (honest).

I winged it with a new pot so that now the board has a pronounced list to port, requiring some very ginger massaging for all the parts to fit nicely. That done, the LED shorted against the metal bezel once the pots were tightened down so I had to improvise a functional solution with wires and shrink wrap. It's pretty messy inside but finally functional and I completely concur with @MichaelW that this is such a nice compressor that it's unlikely ever to leave my rig.

tso_outards.jpg
It's transparent, unobtrusive, doesn't overly colour the original tone: in short, everything it's cracked up to be. This and my Tele are very compatible (a marriage made in pedal heaven). I will replace the el cheapo jacks in due course since the out jack is badly bent and will no doubt give out in time, not to mention the squew jack's offence to my sense of aesthetics, limited as that may well be.

All's well that ends well (eventually). I'm giving the build five stars and myself half a star for lack of patience redeemed only by some fairly handy (read desperate) improvising when the chips were down (pun intended).

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend building or otherwise.

Great build! How well does this work on bass?
Tried this out just now. Again, doesn’t colour the sound on bass and fattens it up nicely. The switch (between dry and compressed blend and volume with fixed compression, if I understand this aright) does seem to darken the neck pickup a bit but agreeably so. Nothing that a minor tweak on the amp won’t correct.

Back