A Truly Dino Bluesbreaker Clone!

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I'd previously built up the AionFX Cerulean - which is a slightly modified Bluesbreaker, but I'd never done just a vanilla one before. My Ukrainian friend had a board and was nice enough to create a Steggo version of it, so I went ahead and took the plunge!

Blues Brachiosaurus - 01.jpg

The circuit itself is not terribly complex, and the large PCB footprint left plenty of room for the logo and name of the board. Although this is a more classic pedal, I'm using almost all modern components for this particular build. The resistors are all 1% metal film. The film capacitors are all 5% tolerance metal film. There is one modern MLCC, and the electrolytic capacitors are all Nichicon. I'm using new 1N914 diodes for the clipping diodes, but I did sneak one of my classic Motorola 1N5817 diodes in as the polarity protection diode because, well, because it's blue for lack of a better justification. The new production TL072IP op amp is socketed as well.

Blues Brachiosaurus - 02.jpg

The off-board wiring for the pedal is fairly straightforward. This particular PCB includes individual ground connections for both the audio and DC jacks, so I went ahead and used them instead of going with a star ground. It helps keep the wiring on the inside fairly neat. because of the spacing I went ahead and used individual wires to attach the 3PDT daughter board rather than trying to use ribbon cable. As per my normal practice, I went ahead and insulated all of the jack connections with heat shrink tubing.

Blues Brachiosaurus - 03.jpg

For the enclosure art, I once again enlisted my Ukrainian friend Kate to provide the dinosaur mascot - our way cool Blues Brachiosaurus! I went with sort of a cool texture background and allowed the black of the enclosure to show through - which actually creates a really neat feeling texture on the top of the enclosure itself - sort of like skid plate.

As for the sound - it's a Bluesbreaker. It tends to like lower gain pickups better than really hot pickups in my experience. Depending on the pickups and the amp, you can get anything from a fairly clean boost to a really nice dirty boost and light distortion. The volume control is on the light side, and you need to be at around at least 2:00 or so to get much above unity.

Original blog entry: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/10/a-new-bluesbreaker-clone.html

Back