A Warning About Monoprice 9V Power Blocks

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
I have several of these and used to daisy-chain them on my pedal board. I was also using one on my test bench for pedal checkout. That's when I found out that these blocks are unstable with light loads. My Frost Drive for instance. And my ROG Double-D. I tried posting a negative review on Monoprice's site, but they reject negative reviews. So I'll warn you folks. I know most of you use multiple output power bricks on your pedal board. I ended up buying a Caline CP-05 for mine. Steer clear of the Monoprice power block. They have some great products; this isn't one of them.

are there any cheap power supplies with multiple isolated outputs that are decent? ive been using three one spots for years and im ready to move up and go the voodoo/truetone/walrus route, but im curious if anyone can vouch for somethign cheaper.

Understand that "isolated outputs" does not necessarily mean that the ground returns are isolated from each other. My Caline CP-05 is one of the cheapest multiple output power supplies available. The outputs are isolated, but the grounds are not. It works well for me.

Back