Adobe Illustrator Replacement Suggestions?

How early?
Corel 4 and 8?

That is very suprising!
ummm..... I'm not good at remembering what features were with what release. Being the IT manager (and lead programmer analyst), one of my jobs at the time was supporting Marketing's software, which was all drawing and word processing packages. I had to learn all of them, ugh. But I think most of the releases up through 8 looked like this. After that I believe corel was purchased and instead of adding features the new company obfuscated the toolset, requiring expensive training.

The thing I really like about drawing in visio is that it draws in lines with curving control points and interpolates and averages changes in direction. And when you stop it re-evaluates the entire line since the last stop to reduce the number of control points making the line as simple as possible.

Corel draws in points of change of direction requiring a squat load more points for a simple line which means that much more to edit if you want to move things around.

Visio also seems to almost know what you're trying to draw, it's kinda eerie.....

That's good to know! Excited to check it out.

One thing I found out Corel does is import pdfs as curves (vectors) perfectly. Makes it really easy to manipulate art from drill templates.

Watch out though. Corel has always shrunk things slightly when importing.

Back
Top Bottom