After some thought...

Spiff4565

...I think I am going to change my assembly process.

I have a couple of builds that have unexplainable issues that were never solved.

So rather than wait until the moment of truth when power is applied, I'm going to pursue an incremental assembly process.

I have typically installed components by class. Usually resistors then caps, regulators....

I think going forward I will try as best and as practical to build and test the circuit from one end to the other.

Start with the power supply and make sure it is delivering appropriate power to its end point.

Then I'll build out the rest of the circuit, testing along the way.

This approach flies in the face of economy of motion, but time is saved on the backend by trying to analyze where a fault(s) lies in the entire system.

You can always get one of those audition board things and put it together to test your builds before you box them up.
I do have a tone generator for tracing. But after this latest build it could only lead me to the problem, not resolve the problem.

With a fully populated board trying to isolate or track down a root issue is more challenging than going step by step.

For troubleshooting I measure resistance and voltages. Sometimes I use a signal trace as well.

I build small components to tall components and am fastidious, checking the component to its value to the circuit and testing each component's values with a meter. Which is important because especially for overdrives, I deviate from the stock circuits. I don't think this saves time, just frustration levels.

Back