Aion Hydra (Naga Viper)

When you consider that the Naga Viper has just 17 components, including the pots, we can only imagine what the OEM's profit margin on the original pedal is given that they sell it for $179.

Last edited:
You can buy a clone on Reverb for half that cost. When you consider the time spent acquiring parts, machining the enclosure, assembling & testing the pedal and running ads on Reverb, the guys selling cheap clones on Reverb are paying themselves less than minimum wage. The Catalinbread product comes with a warranty and support. It's a free market; people pay what they think a product is worth.

I should add that some of the profit from sales at the OEM goes to fund the R&D that creates the next designs. Folks who buy boards here (and at Aion, et.al.) and build pedals have ZERO R&D costs; they are getting the design for free.

Last edited:
You can buy a clone on Reverb for half that cost. When you consider the time spent acquiring parts, machining the enclosure, assembling & testing the pedal and running ads on Reverb, the guys selling cheap clones on Reverb are paying themselves less than minimum wage. The Catalinbread product comes with a warranty and support. It's a free market; people pay what they think a product is worth.

I should add that some of the profit from sales at the OEM goes to fund the R&D that creates the next designs. Folks who buy boards here (and at Aion, et.al.) and build pedals have ZERO R&D costs; they are getting the design for free.
You are right. I guess the cost of components are just a small fraction of the cost of any pedal when you consider R&D, marketing, and overheads such as manufacturing, shipping, and warranty.

Back