Aion Lumitron (MuTron iii) - with some mods - a bass player solders

LukeFRC

So I got a kit from Musikding and it all went together super quickly!
It’s the Lumitron design of a Mutron 3 which was just super simple build - the sister board for the 3pdt footswitch is a bit different to the ppcb approach but makes sense I guess…
While they make them nice and easy to build The downside of Aions approach is there’s not much space for mods!!

Two mods - the “Moog filter” mod that does something to the way it rolls of in LP mode and (unsurprisingly) sounds more like a moog, where stock is more precise and regular envelope.

And a release knob borrowed from the Meatball schematic using a spare 1k8 resistor and a250k pot - this is very cool and opens up lots of cool sounds, it goes from being quicker than the attack and the filter not opening, to really slooooow. You can even get some kind of slow attack thing in high pass mode set right!

One bug I’ve got -(and help appreciated if you know how to solve) if the volume is anywhere other than fully open I seem to get crackly noise from somewhere - it happens when there is audio signal, but before the indicator LED is lit - when the LED is on, there is no noise.
Took the LED out and no noise, tried a different LED and noise again… so it looks like it might be the indicator LED (which is super useful!) putting gunk on the ground when it has current but not enough to switch on… and if the volume isn’t fully up some of that ground noise gets into the audio

Annoying!

Other than that it’s great! I’m trying hard not to order madbean version of the chunk agent 00funk and the Aion version of the meatball! How much use I will have live, and if it really is that much better than my digital source audio C4 I don’t know!

IMG_1357.jpeg IMG_1359.jpeg

Back