Aion Spectron(Lovetone Meatball)

pingpongcomputer

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
This one was kind of fun and kind of annoying. I mostly did it because it looked like a crazy build, I don't see myself using it very often, maybe for weird song intros, or trying to pretend I can play like Zappa(I can't). I've seen complaints about the build docs in other build reports, mostly drill dimensions being off and things like that, so I used @flemming 's Tayda drill file here and it worked perfectly. I also used @fydo 's Illustrator template which was also perfect. Many thanks to both users for sharing the resources, definitely made things easier on my end. I deviated from the wiring and just bridged the grounds of all the jacks to one point and then attached to the negative post on the dc jack. It doesn't seem to have had and detrimental effects and cleaned up a bunch of the off board wiring. I highly recommend getting pin headers to attach the rotary switch breakout boards, I used clipped resistor leads and it wasn't very fun. It's possible there was some loud cursing at inanimate objects.
The finished pedal seems to function properly. It takes an insane amount of volume to get the envelope to trigger on the more subtle filter settings, I don't know if that's a defect of my build or just how it works. I like how it sounds with a longer attack and decay and some fuzz. I haven't messed with the effects loop yet, but it seems like more fuzz in there would be cool, I'll try that out tonight.

For the graphics I wanted to do a bad trip for a hippie lady holding a huge bloody meatball, but ended up more with a medieval noblewoman, which is fine. Tayda UV print on a Chromium 1590XX. Edit: Forgot to mention, I didn't use white under the color, only the text, so it has a cool metallic/iridescent effect in the light, kind of like foil graphics but hard to photograph.

Guts first:
hyYOUKI.jpeg

WSfEmYr.jpeg

Top jacks to show how well the drill worked out:
NoFMfW2.jpeg

Happy 4th I guess, I'll be ripping linoleum out of my kitchen floor to prep for tiling.

Awesome build! I think this was one of the more challenging builds I had done.

I agree that the triggering can be a little difficult. I think the labels for sensitivity and intensity are swapped on your build. To make it trigger more easily the far left control gets turned clockwise. You also have to adjust the far right rotary to where it triggers easiest. Sometimes you have to play with the EQ some to get it to trigger right.

There is something funny that happens with the attack and decay controls. It seems like the farther apart they are set the easier it is to trigger. I usually set the attack low and then set the decay to the time that I want. If the decay is too high it won’t release between notes. After the decay is where I want it I adjust the attack up until it gives me whatever tightness I want. I usually end up with them set about 90 degrees apart.

Awesome build! I think this was one of the more challenging builds I had done.

I agree that the triggering can be a little difficult. I think the labels for sensitivity and intensity are swapped on your build. To make it trigger more easily the far left control gets turned clockwise. You also have to adjust the far right rotary to where it triggers easiest. Sometimes you have to play with the EQ some to get it to trigger right.

There is something funny that happens with the attack and decay controls. It seems like the farther apart they are set the easier it is to trigger. I usually set the attack low and then set the decay to the time that I want. If the decay is too high it won’t release between notes. After the decay is where I want it I adjust the attack up until it gives me whatever tightness I want. I usually end up with them set about 90 degrees apart.
You are very correct about the control labels, and that explains some things. I do get easier triggering with the rotary towards high, but don't like the sounds as much, though now I have to adjust controls based on what they actually are and see what happens. Thank you!

Back