AionFX Aurora Legacy (Ross/DynaComp)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Couple more to add to the build reports today.

I built this one last week. It's Aion's "Legacy" (meaning 1590B form factor with no breakout board) version of the Aurora Compressor.

Which is his board for either the Ross or DynaComp compressor. You also have the option to build a 3 knob version of the Keeley compressor, which is essentially a Ross with an "attack" knob or you can build it pretty close to a Janglebox, which is essentially a Ross with treble control toggle.

Having built a couple of Ross compressors, including my most recent Kompromat Build I opted to build this one as a straight up DynaComp, which is missing from my compressor collection.

The DynaComp is the first pedal compressor I ever played (probably the same for most guitar players) but it's probably been 30 years since I actually played one.
But I do remember thinking that it colored the tone too much and not liking it. I also recall it not being very subtle, but like in your face squish, which I also didn't like. So I built this more for completion of my collection of compressors more than expecting to like it a lot.

So imagine my surprise when I fired it up and I LOVE IT! I don't know what's different about it from a stock DynaComp but I used all the stock DynaComp values.
It's got a ton of compression on tap, which was expected, but what I did not expect was that this build is actually a pretty transparent sounding compressor.

The only mods I included was the two toggle switches, one for an attack control, but on a toggle instead of a pot like the Keeley variant, and the other toggle is the treble filter like the Janglebox. That way I can have the toggles set to be stock DynaComp or I can add some treble or increase the attack/release settings.
The attack toggle is pretty subtle, I imagine having it on a pot would give you more range. The treble filter doesn't get quite as jangly as the Janglebox/Byrdhouse but it gets you more than 1/2 way there.

Where I'm really finding the best use for it is as a second inline compressor to my General Tso. With the Tso set to moderate compression settings and the DynaComp set a tad higher, I can get a really nice dual compressor tone without as much noise as one would expect. I like using the two Tso's together inline for the cleanest and clearest sounding dual compression, but pairing the Tso with the DynaComp kicks it up to a whole nuther level. I've been having a lot of fun running a super low gain, like the SugarBag with the drive control dialed way low, then running the two compressors for almost infinite sustain but really low gain.

So I thought that the Aurora/DynaComp was going to be my last compressor build for a while, but I have a top secret project coming my way for a Boss CS-2 (another Ross/DynaComp variant). I shan't say from whom it's coming from but he guards the analog thingys...... :ROFLMAO: .
Really looking forward to that build!

In the meantime, I have enough new compressors for another compressor demo, or demo update, or whatever. Some neat things to showcase, between the Kompromat, CupCake (Orange Squeezer), and this new Aurora/DynaComp.

IMG_5787.JPG

IMG_5786.JPG

Back