AionFX Corvus Builds

Fingolfen

Want to split a room of guitar pedal enthusiasts??? Bring up the op-amp Big Muff Pi!

So here's a couple of builds of the AionFX Corvus V4 BMP. Although the AionFX board allows you to build the original 1978 stock version without the Analogguru mods, I went ahead and went with the standard build as presented in the Corvus project. Despite this being an early pedal design, I've gone with all modern components from the resistors and capacitors all the way through the diodes and ICs. My stock of certain key vintage diodes and other components is starting to dwindle, and I really want to reserve those for the more classic pedal designs.

Aion Corvus - 01.jpg

Once again I had some fun with this enclosure. The top design is an homage to the modern op-amp BMP enclosure with my standard Steggo font rather than the normal EHX font being used for all of the labels. The pedal name is only slightly tongue in cheek...

Aion Corvus - 04a.jpg

I'm experimenting with a couple of different knob configurations. I really like the silver knobs, but I'm also trying out the green knobs. I think the green ones are a bit dark. It's not bad, but I think the silver works better with the silver enclosure. Unfortunately I only had 4 of those knobs available and they appear to be out of stock everywhere. So until they're back in stock, #1 will be rocking with the green knobs.

As to the sound - it is unmistakably a Big Muff, but it really does have a different feel to it in many ways. If you want to play Smashing Pumpkins from Siamese Dream or even as late as Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, here is that sound in one convenient box. That being said, it will also work anywhere you'd use a regular BMP, but you'll need to work with the settings a bit. Honestly I really like the sound overall, and I'm glad I finally got around to adding one of these to the stable!

A little more (including a gut shot) at the blog...

Back