TUTORIAL All About Diodes - A Gathering of Various Resources Out There

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Hey All,

I wanted to do a write up about diodes: theory behind them, what they do, different types, how they interact with circuits, clipping types, voltage drops, etc. In doing some final research I realized there is a TON of info out there specifically related to guitar pedals. Rather than copy/paste others' work and diagrams I decided to create a depository of what I think are a lot of very good sources out there in their various formats. A little blurb about each link will be my contribution.

Introduction to Diodes And Rectifiers - Electrical theory from AllAboutCircuits. A great educational resource out there and something I stumbled upon with my self learning. Theory will help you troubleshoot, modify, and create your pedals! Whether you know zero theory or need to brush up on something, this will definitely help

The Different Types of Diodes - Coda Effects' write up which sums up pretty much what I wanted to write here. It covers basic theory, diode types, clipping, and polarity protection

A Brief Hobbyist Primer on Clipping Diodes - A great article on Guitar Pedal X. A touch of theory, hard vs soft clipping in circuits and some famous pedals that use either, symmetrical vs asymmetrical clipping, and diode types with forward voltages.

LED Polarity - PedalPCB's write up how to install diodes on your boards. A little older (2019) during the transition from older boards to the newer ones. This will help save you some troubleshooting!!

What's All This Stuff About Germanium Diode Leakage?- @Chuck D. Bones write up of germanium diodes done over this summer on here. Know your theory first, but a phenomenal write up.

How To Build Guitar Pedals - Clipping Diodes Compared - Fuzzlord Effects YouTube video explaining clipping diodes for distortion. Some theory, a look through an oscilloscope at their waves, and sound bytes of clipping types in one of his pedals .

What is Diode Clipping? | Too Afraid To Ask - CSGuitars YouTube about hard/soft clipping to the average Joe. Also a plug for a Walrus Audio OD pedal which you can hear the difference in clipping types.

Diodes - Mark Hammer's small write up on diodes and whether you can swap out silicons for germaniums and vice versa. If you've read everything else above this will be a little repetitive, but explained in a different way.

If anyone has any other great resources out there please share them here!

Thanks,

BuddyTheReow

Wow, the Diode Equation is a spoonful! It may take me some time to apply this equation. I have an app with many of these algorithms included as functions, which is handy but not conducive to actually learning / understanding the equation.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, the Diode Equation is a spoonful! It may take me some time to apply this equation. I have an app with many of these algorithms included as functions, which is handy but not conducive to actually learning / understanding the equation.

Thanks for sharing!
The more you learn the better you’ll build! I’m just trying to pass on my knowledge.

Now I remember where I read it!

Back