Amentum Boost issues - First time build

Trizzy

Hello all,

Years of soldering experience but I'm what you'd call a first-time builder around here. Wanted to build this amentum boost as it features a very simple circuit and I want a really good boost on my pedalboard haha. I've finished assembling the pedal in a 1590B enclosure.

The first time I plugged the pedal into a power supply and pressed the footswitch, the LED burnt out instantly. My understanding of the circuit was that there is no need to put a resistor in between the pcb and the LED, because the 4K7 resistor is already mounted to the PCB and directly precedes the LED in the circuit. I've never had a problem blowing LEDs so I'm not sure how best to troubleshoot. It's not wired backward.

The other issue is that I seemed to have soldered the pot upside-down! Oops. All part of the learning process I suppose. I think that I should probably just resolder the pot right-side up, though I'm concerned that the pcb will get in the way of my output jack once it's flipped. Maybe I should just replace the pot with a normal pot with lugs rather than a pcb-mounted one. Any tips?

I desoldered the burnt out LED and tested the pedal without an LED. The pedal sounds pretty great, though a little noisy when turned up, I think that's normal though. Maybe the enclosure could use some shielding? I think that I may have to experiment. Bypass works perfectly and no additional noise seems to be coming from the pedal or anything. Anyway, I'm so close to finishing this build but troubleshooting has taken the wind out of my sails a little bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, help me finish this pedal and I will share finished photos of the enclosure! It's ice-cream themed.

Attachments

• IMG_4006-min.JPG
    IMG_4006-min.JPG
    849.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4007-min.JPG
    IMG_4007-min.JPG
    845.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4008-min.JPG
    IMG_4008-min.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Amentum.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 3
BTW, the R2 looks off too. Should be brown-orange-black-brown. Looks like there's another 1.3 instead of 1.3K. Maybe that will help the noise issue.

It looks like there's a 4.7 ohm resistor in the CLR, not a 4.7K. At least that's what I'm reading (yellow-purple-black-silver).
Double check that resistor. I would expect to see yellow-purple-black-brown.
You’re right, it’s yellow-purple-black silver. I’ll find a 4.7k and replace it. Thanks so much!!

Any advice on how I can fix the upside-down pot problem without interfering with the holes I’ve already drilled for output and power? any tricky way I could keep the pot positioned beneath the pcb the way it is now?

BTW, the R2 looks off too. Should be brown-orange-black-brown. Looks like there's another 1.3 instead of 1.3K. Maybe that will help the noise issue.
You’re totally right about that as well. Oof, looks like I need to triple check my part orders from Tayda. Luckily I’ve got plenty of extra 1.3k resistors here. Thanks for your help friend!

Reactions: spi
You’re right, it’s yellow-purple-black silver. I’ll find a 4.7k and replace it. Thanks so much!!

Any advice on how I can fix the upside-down pot problem without interfering with the holes I’ve already drilled for output and power? any tricky way I could keep the pot positioned beneath the pcb the way it is now?
Yes, solder wire leads to the pot, and instead of board-mounting it, solder the wires to the board. Then you can move the board where ever you want, and leave the pot in place. Just snip the legs off the pot.

You have a ton of space in that enclosure, relative to the side of the board.

Yes, solder wire leads to the pot, and instead of board-mounting it, solder the wires to the board. Then you can move the board where ever you want, and leave the pot in place. Just snip the legs off the pot.

You have a ton of space in that enclosure, relative to the side of the board.
Good idea. This is what I’ll do. Thanks. What if I left the wiper pin in place and clipped the other two and wired leads? Any reason that would be a bad idea?

Good idea. This is what I’ll do. Thanks. What if I left the wiper pin in place and clipped the other two and wired leads? Any reason that would be a bad idea?
That could work. Just be really careful when desoldering the pot - they can be really stubborn to remove, as there’s a lot of metal there. Cut off as much of the protruding pins as possible, so less to slide out. It’s actually easier to remove the entire pot than trying to remove the two outside pins, as you can then pull the whole pot out. With either end, you’re going to have to bend each side to remove just that one pin at a time.

Last edited:
Back