An Idea for a Universal Input Buffer/Booster (onboard)

I don't want the permanent voltage drop from a series diode
I mean, technically, there is a reverse current leakage from that diode to ground, reducing your voltage with it 🤓🤓🤓

But it realistically isn't that much haha

The series diode makes more sense with an AC adapter. I think of battery power by default, which is why I avoid the voltage drop. It wastes some battery life.

The series diode makes more sense with an AC adapter. I think of battery power by default, which is why I avoid the voltage drop. It wastes some battery life.
Have you looked at using a P-channel mosfet for reverse polarity protection instead? It has virtually no voltage drop. The downside is that it uses three components instead of one, but it avoids the issues that you get when a parallel diode starts conducting.

I don't like complexity. I use a beefy enough diode so it can easily withstand being across a 9V battery for the short time it takes someone to figure out that the clip goes in the other way. As for AC adapters, the diode can handle 2A indefinitely, and the AC adapter should protect itself against short circuits or overloads unless it's a total hack job. I protect my circuit against the outside world, you protect yours

Back