An Idea for a Universal Input Buffer/Booster (onboard)

Yeah, Dailywell are legit. Mouser even stocks them. They want 3x more for them that Tayda though.

It's alive!

First impressions: I had a bit of a hard time measuring its noise floor. It's really close to the limit of my Audio Presision System Two (-120dBu), so I had to do some noise summing calculations to come up with the correct figure:

Buffer's self noise ended up at -117dBu (20kHz BW), as it should be. Maximum input is +11dBu on a 9V supply, which works out to a 128dB dynamic range. I'll have to measure the various boost modes, but I don't expect any surprises.

Thare ya go. It's a product now. Don't buy it, though. Make your own instead. No substitutes for the op amp. It's the best for this job.

PXL_20240313_172308273.jpg PXL_20240313_172826796.jpg

Last edited:
Can I give you some feature requests? I am curious about trying active electronics but I would like to be able to switch them completely off (going back to the passive volume pot). Also it may be useful to have an external control for the boost? Also does this work with a regular tone control? What about a bass contour like Reverend or G&L have?

Switching to passive -> you can add your own true bypass toggle if you must, but you'd need a separate volume pot suitable for passive (250k or 500k), or a very hard to find dual gang pot with say 10k + 500k, one for active, one for passive. Try a temporary bypass, then remove it once you're satisfied that passive sucks in comparision. You can set the input Z with switches to make it sound exactly like passive, minus the tone suck and extra hiss that comes with rolling down the volume.

External boost control -> not going to happen from my side. AFAIC, that's what the DIP switches are for. You tweak them until you're happy, then it's set-and-forget, wih instant recallability from the toggle. You can modify the design to suit your needs if you want, the schematic is in post #1 above.

Regular tone pot? No problem. Works the same as in a passive setup. Just place it before the buffer.

Bass countour? I have a different tool for that (my Alembic-style filter). There's only so many things you can switch around with a simple 3-way toggle... And this buffer/booster is designed to (among other use cases) complement my filter, adding stuff it doesn't do, such as bass boost and (extra) treble boost. It would also go great in front of my one-knob compressor. Pre-comp EQ is very useful. Or post-comp. Or even better, both. It never ends...

Last edited:
Yes. The center position is always unity gain, flat buffer. One of the others is a treble boost, and the other can be set to either a bass boost or just flat boost. The amount of bass/treble/flat boost is settable.

That’s cool. About the bass contour: if I had a guitar that has it (I actually have 3!), would your buffer/booster work with it?

Not sure. I'd have to see the circuit inside your guitar. What is even "bass contour"? What exactly does it do?

That's what it looks like. Variable bass cut. In other words, passive treble boost, if I can stretch the term so much. It's all relative. Cut the bass, and you're left with more treble than bass.

hi, at risk of appearing to be a complete noob...is there a stripboard or veroboard layout available? This project would be perfect for giving some low output pickups that Im fond of a little kick so they match my other guitars.

Not from me, sorry. BTW, the op amp I'm using is only available in surface mount packages, so probably not very suitable for strip or vero.

Back